gnats killed my chickens

Ya know the garden shed I have converted to a coop had a bug zapper hanging in it. I assumed the previous owner had it for the wasps and hornets that kept building nests in it. Then again they used to have a pool so maybe he was just storing it there. However maybe a bug zapper would work in your situation.

I think these are the things that attacked us in October when we were visiting along the Illinois/Indiana state lines. No one knew what they were but we could feel them bite and we had big itchy whelps. The bugs were like a gnat but a little larger and they were hard, not soft.

Does that sound like a buffalo gnat?
hide.gif

Sorry to hear of your gnat problem. I have the same problem, and I posted it a couple days ago. I have gotten a lot of good advice. We have a neighbor who had chickens killed by gnats. When he found them dead, their little noses were just plugged up. Someone suggested hummingbirds eat gnats so hang up a feeder for them. We are going to do that. Another suggestion was to hang fly paper high enough that the chicks can't get to them. I also read somewhere else to put out a pan of milk. The gnats will go for it, and your chicks will eat them and drink the milk. Can't hurt to try. We use vanilla spray for ourselves, so today I got 2 car fresheners, vanilla scent, and hung high in the coop. By afternoon, there were hardly any in there! I hope this info helps you.

Buffalo gnats can bleed out a full-grown moose or deer. For coops this works-

They're no-pest strips (dichlorovos). Hang high or cage so that birds can't peck them. You might have to keep birds indoors a few days to saturate the air space in the coop to create a refuge for your birds. Meanwhile, empty all water containers outdoors and keep bird water very clean. Mow grasses as much as possible near coops. Treat bedding with food-grade DE and use the same powder in the run so birds can bathe and coat themselves with the powder. Early part of season is worst for gnats, especially in calm pockets without wind. Deadly problem. You may wish to wait until they abate before obtaining more birds.

You can also use any spray designed for horses to hit swarms of gnats in your run- SuperShield and Bronco are two examples.

Very sorry to hear this.

Last edited:
I dont want to hijack but my peas are being totally tormented by them. Is there ANYTHING I can spray on them to alleviate or help them. They free range, but two are fairly tame,and would probably commit to anything to help them out.

I saw Pete running wildly around and aroundthe pine tree yesterday just to try to get away from them, they are EXHAUSTED!

sad.png

You know, I had the same problem with these dang bull gnats that bite and leave really angry welts at the bite site. Many places I've researched say they can't be controlled unless you find their water/food source - cleanliness is key in most forms of treatment I've seen. Unfortunately for us, we live close to a marshy area and have two fish ponds so we asked around at the feed store - you know what they said?

Of all things, they recommended a human beauty product called Skin So Soft, just take a paper towel or similar and stroke a bit on their head and neck feathers and repeat as necessary. Be sure to avoid the eyes/nose/beak - they really shouldn't be ingesting it if at all possible. Worked like a charm for us, lil babies used to scratch themselves bloody and run around like birds possessed trying to get away - after they got used to the smell of it they were singin and bouncin around, assumin they weren't making up for lost time on their beauty sleep.

Hope it helps and good luck!

My mom used to use "Skin So Soft" on our pony while I was growing up... It really does work to keep bugs away, and it's easier and more pleasant to use than most commercial bug products. (She used to wipe it on with a rag, btw; but you could probably put it in a spray bottle to cover larger areas more easily.)

I also use the Skin So Soft. Basically i have the wife spray my hand and then i wipe my hand all around the neck area and a strokle across the beak. Also lightly touch their waddles and the gland things on the side of their head. The gnats hide under the the gland things on the side. This stops them!! Also I spray the inside of the coop around the sleeping area. Fortunatley we have a pump/spray version of skin so soft. Who'da thunk Avon would save my chickens! I did see sores on the waddles. Hopefully they will survive!!

Back
Top Bottom