Goat Problem :(

Quote:
I was shocked by a voltage strong enough to put a man into a heart attack, and that's the voltage we used to keep our pygmy goats from distroying the fence....the fence we used for them was 4 ft tall the never once scaled it ebcause of the hot wire. Once they got zapped a few timse on the nose they left well away.

Quote:
I was shocked by a voltage strong enough to put a man into a heart attack, and that's the voltage we used to keep our pygmy goats from distroying the fence....the fence we used for them was 4 ft tall the never once scaled it ebcause of the hot wire. Once they got zapped a few timse on the nose they left well away.

After we were done putting up our electric fence for the sheep I was out in the pasture one time checking it. I touched it an not a zap or anything. So I walked a little further and still nothing. Then I noticed that one of the llama's (who are with the sheep 24/7) was reaching through the electric fence(shorting it out) to eat the grass on the other side (it always seems greener). well in the process of making noise to scare the llama away from the fence...I forgot to let go...
hit.gif
OUCH!!! I dont know the voltage (if that's the right terminology). But we have the old weed burner hooked up..Anyway I got a jolt that went through my whole body. I could feel it pulsing all the way through. in one arm, down body, through legs and up other arm, then into head and it literally came out my tounge ring. I felt a zap in my mouth and for about 2 days if felt like I had tinfoil on a filling every time anything touched the tounge ring..

Not to long after that the sheep started to get there wool back in and were no longer afraid of the electric. Which by the way the babies who were never sheared were never afraid of the electric. The llama's even ran through the fence a few times.So now we have field fence. Nothing gets in or out. I guess having animals no matter what kind...Will let you know where you went wrong when it comes to fencing.

Last edited:
Quote:

After we were done putting up our electric fence for the sheep I was out in the pasture one time checking it. I touched it an not a zap or anything. So I walked a little further and still nothing. Then I noticed that one of the llama's (who are with the sheep 24/7) was reaching through the electric fence(shorting it out) to eat the grass on the other side (it always seems greener). well in the process of making noise to scare the llama away from the fence...I forgot to let go...
hit.gif
OUCH!!! I dont know the voltage (if that's the right terminology). But we have the old weed burner hooked up..Anyway I got a jolt that went through my whole body. I could feel it pulsing all the way through. in one arm, down body, through legs and up other arm, then into head and it literally came out my tounge ring. I felt a zap in my mouth and for about 2 days if felt like I had tinfoil on a filling every time anything touched the tounge ring..

Not to long after that the sheep started to get there wool back in and were no longer afraid of the electric. Which by the way the babies who were never sheared were never afraid of the electric. The llama's even ran through the fence a few times.So now we have field fence. Nothing gets in or out. I guess having animals no matter what kind...Will let you know where you went wrong when it comes to fencing.

OUCHIE!!! (the tounge ring part i can only imagine that pain)!!!! Tough thinga bout eletric fence is some voltages just wont effect some, so the frusterated owners have to keep upping the voltage until they find a setting that actually makes the animals want to stay away. When we had horses, a simple tap feeling from the voltage was enough to keep them away from the fence...however goats...they needed a good full body jolt to want to stay away. My chest hurt so bad after getting shocked by the volage we used to keep the goats in....i could easily see how it gave a man a heart attack...it's actually been known to knock down a cow. Luckily i was sitting down so i didnt fall down HAHA!

HOw it happened was i was medicating a very sick kidd, he backed into the twine without me noticing it...didnt hrut him cuz it went right through him to me! LOL! Greatest trick in teh book, hold someones hand and touch a fence...I think someoen told him
wink.png
LOL!

We had our twin (wire) a foot from the ground, that was enough to keep them out..the doo doos wouldnt even try to put their hooves through the fence above the twine even though they really could have if they thought abotu it enough...then again....never claimed goats were too intelligent...they are masters at escape, but i really jsut think through trial and error and not intelligence lol!! THe fencing we used to ekep them in my mom calls "goat fence' it's i guess fencing used mostly for gardens, vertical retangles about 2" wide and 4 inches tall (each vertical rectangle). coated fencing....it's nice stuff keeps our chickensin too
smile.png
Cept ofcourse we dont use hot wire on them.

My two Boer goat girls just laughed at me when I put them in a pen made of hot wire. I ran 4 strands with 3 ground rods, and I made sure that there was nothing shorting it out, and the goofy bird dog even dig me the favor of testing it,(she is determined to kill the goats as well as the chickens), but the goats just walked through it like it was nothing!
he.gif
I am soo tired of them living in my back yard, I could just scream, and with the arrival of "Sir Stinky" the sheep, I really am motivated to find a solution for my hotwire issues. Not that I worry about the girls escaping the outer perimeter, but I worry about the stupid birddog killing them, because she has been very motivated to do them grevious harm, and they arent big enough, yet...
11733_08070812561.jpg

The old farmer's used to say "If your fence won't hold water it won't hold a goat." How true that is.

I have welded wire fencing and 3 strands of electric wire. We purchased the equipment rated for 300 miles of wire and used 3 ground rods.

They will learn within the first few days to get back from it.

When we got the sheep it took them about 3 days to figure it out. They avoid the fence at all cost.

We use only electric for our girls. We have six strands spaced 5", 5",5", 6", 7" and 8" They can all tell when the fence is on and stay far from it.

Back
Top Bottom