Goat Thread

They are a LOT smaller than you'd expect. I posted stall pictures earlier. The breeder told me we could house 6 in there. They are about knee high. They reach full maturity at 3 years old, and the breeder says that hers usually always remain really small. I would say they are about 30-45 pounds right now. They don't eat a lot either. I plan to show goats, so they are not only pets, but also investments.
Correction, at least from my goats: If they get the chance, they WILL eat a lot. A couple of times, my goat “broke in” the shed, and went for the game bird food. She wouldn’t stop eating, and you couldn’t take her out, it was like if she was nailed to the floor.

They are a LOT smaller than you'd expect. I posted stall pictures earlier. The breeder told me we could house 6 in there. They are about knee high. They reach full maturity at 3 years old, and the breeder says that hers usually always remain really small. I would say they are about 30-45 pounds right now. They don't eat a lot either. I plan to show goats, so they are not only pets, but also investments. I don't know a lot about city regulations though...my lot is under agricultural zoning.
I'm in the suburbs, in a residential track that backs to woods. There are farms within miles of my home, but mostly there are housing tracks. I get along well with my neighbors, who don't mind my chickens at all. I have read that Nigerians are pretty quiet as long as they don't learn to associate humans with treats, and that goats don't smell or attract flies if the stall area is well-maintained. I keep my coop very clean and there have been no issues with odor or flies. Would you say I could expect the same with goats? Also about the same with noise level? My chickens are actually pretty loud, but it's not an all-day thing & no one seems to be bothered by it. I don't want people complaining about the goat noise & draw unwanted attention to my chickens.

[
I'm in the suburbs, in a residential track that backs to woods. There are farms within miles of my home, but mostly there are housing tracks. I get along well with my neighbors, who don't mind my chickens at all. I have read that Nigerians are pretty quiet as long as they don't learn to associate humans with treats, and that goats don't smell or attract flies if the stall area is well-maintained. I keep my coop very clean and there have been no issues with odor or flies. Would you say I could expect the same with goats? Also about the same with noise level? My chickens are actually pretty loud, but it's not an all-day thing & no one seems to be bothered by it. I don't want people complaining about the goat noise & draw unwanted attention to my chickens.
My two goats are quiet. Their poop is MUCH easier to clean than chicken poop. Smells a LOT better too. Chicken poop can produce ammonia. As long as the goat poop is healthy, it doesn't smell as bad as chicken poop. But I have only had them for one day, but so far so good! I will continue posting updates.

The chicken regulations are often put in place because of neighbors. If your neighbors don't mind, I wouldn't worry. Good neighbors are amazing.

Back
Top Bottom