Going on a Western Carribean Cruise. (First time) Questions....

allaboutdemchicks

Chapel Farms
11 Years
Sep 13, 2008
Jemison, AL
This is our first cruise (Carnival), and the children (ages 6 and 7) will be going with us. We will be stopping in Cozumel, Mexico and Calica. Does anyone have advice on shore excursions that they really enjoyed??

Do you think we will need to take Dramamine?

Do you think we should take bug repellent?

Any other advice would be welcomed!

Claudia

Dramamine- yes!

Bug Spray- always.

Do not drink the water (even the ice cubes). Do not eat at anyplace that is even remotely suspect.

I went to the Caribbean and loved it, loved it, loved it. But... both my husband and I got Salmonella which was a real bummer. I would go again in a heartbeat, though.

I cruised with Carnival three years ago, and we're going again (with Princess) in a couple of weeks. Cruising is great fun!

I'd bring Dramamine with you if I were you. I brought some -- just in case -- and ended up needing it for a couple of days when the sea was a bit choppy. It's a bit rough on the stomach when you can't see the horizon (inside the ship).

As far as shore excursions -- if you can go snorkeling somewhere, that's a really fun activity, but I'm not sure how the kids would like it or if it they would be strong enough swimmers. Try to look for trips that are family-friendly. Book your excursions now if you can, or right away as soon as you get on the ship, because they don't have unlimited room. If you wait, you might not get to go on the excursions you want.

Remember that not everything on the ship is free. Carnival has a soft drink card that you can buy that is for unlimited soft drinks during the cruise. Certain restaurants and activities are not free. When we were disembarking from our first cruise, we walked by some people were trying to figure out how to pay for all the charges they had rung up on their trip before they could leave. Yikes!

What to bring... Hm... Lots of really good waterproof suntan lotion, for starters. Bug spray, I suppose, depending on what excursions you're doing (going into the jungle?). You won't need it on the ship by any means. Snacks to take with you on excursions (especially if you have kids)... Water bottles... A backpack to take ashore... Beach towels (there are "hotel towels" on the ship, but they are small...they drive me nuts)... Things for the kids to do in the room when you want to relax (DS, coloring books, toys, etc.)...

The kids' program on Carnival seems pretty nice. You can sign your kids up for it and they will get to do educational activities and will be watched when you want to have some adult time. I believe the kids' program is free.

I don't think you should go at all.

I'll send you my address so you can offload the tickets you don't need anymore.
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

HAVE FUN!

You will have a blast, Cozumel you will need to be a little careful not to go off the beaten path alone with cameras hanging off your shoulder or handbags. The good thing is it's beautiful, the onyx is outstanding, loose jems are at a really great buy, the water is un discribable, beautiful, clean, clear & breath taking! Carnival is know for keeping the kids busy, you will get a pager in case of emergency (if you go the rte.) I so wish I was going with you, I have been on 4 cruises all Royal caribian.
Oh no bug repellent is needed, I don't know about the dramamine, I used the ships stuff called bonies, but we were in rought seas out of Fla. port. only had to take one day and I was good for the rest of the cruise. Shore excursions, the ruins were awesome, do as many as you can. The only advice I can honestly give you is make sure you wear you tight clothes at the beginning of the week, the food is wonderful, most of all have fun.
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Wonderful suggestions everyone! Keep them coming!

I plan on ONE last trip to Wal-Mart to gather all my last minute purchases, so I'm making out my shopping list based on your ideas!!

Dramamine
bug spray
more sunscreen
kid's snacks
a Moo-moo (to wear home after all that eatting!)

Wildsky, I'm going baby! First vacation in YEARS!! You can just come along too!

Quote:
gig.gif
One of these days we'll go on a cruise, I want to go on one to Alaska, I've been to mexico a few times (by car - never on a cruise), I just think I'd like going the other way... perhaps in 5 years or so. We were trying to save up to fly to South Africa for the soccer world champs next year, I don't think thats gonna happen.. oh well.
woot.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom