Going on holidays

chickenneophyte

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
I am sure it has been asked before - I have searched the forums, but can't find any posts, so.....

Am thinking of getting some chickens so our our young children can learn a little bit about where food comes from, caring for animals and responsibility, but am worried about what people do when they go on holidays. Are there places where you can "board" your chickens (similar to kennels)? How long can you leave your chickens for with automated feeders/waterers?

We are in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Peter.

I think it depends on how long you are gone. I wouldn't leave them by themselves for more than 3 days. here in the US we have pet sitter services available.... Can be costly but better than the alternative....

If I am going to be away more then 2 days I ask a friend to come by and check on them and feed water if needed.

I always call friend to make sure they have went and checked them.

If you have a good neighbor or family member who doesn't mind stopping by each day, that's perfect. Many people are willing to help for free if you let them keep the eggs that they collect while you're gone. If you'll only be gone for a couple of days, a full feeder and waterer should be fine.

We let our girls free-range, so we pay the teenager next door to let them out in the morning and close them up at night. While he's here, he checks their food and water. It's worked really well for us, and he likes getting a little cash.

Back
Top Bottom