Gold Star = Red Sex Link?

Butterprint

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 10, 2013
Denver, CO
I just read someone say that a Gold Star chicken is also known as the Red Sex Link--is this true? Anyone???

Picked up a Gold Star chick today and can't find any info on them but plenty on the RSL, so if they're the same, that'd be very helpful information for me!

Thanks!

I just read someone say that a Gold Star chicken is also known as the Red Sex Link--is this true? Anyone???

Picked up a Gold Star chick today and can't find any info on them but plenty on the RSL, so if they're the same, that'd be very helpful information for me!

Thanks!

they are also called golden comets and i think your right about rsl and they have a few other names too like cinnamon queen the parent id=s a ri roo and a new Hampshire hen

Thanks!

Star means sex link. You can use different breeds to cross and get a sex-link chicken. Usually a Rhode Island Red rooster is crossed with something like a Rhode Island White, a Delaware, or a White Plymouth Rock.

A Black Star, or a Black Sex-Link, is a cross of a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster and a Barred Plymouth Rock hen.

Last edited:
Star means sex link. You can use different breeds to cross and get a sex-link chicken. Usually a Rhode Island Red Rooster is crossed with something like a Rhode Island White, a Delaware, or a White Plymouth Rock.

man the rhode island roosters sure get around it seems almost all the crosses we have in modern chickens are from a rhode island red rooster i didn't realize that until 5 years ago when i started breeding black sex links and by the way Butterprint sex links are idenfied by color thats how they are sexed

man the rhode island roosters sure get around it seems almost all the crosses we have in modern chickens are from a rhode island red rooster i didn't realize that until 5 years ago when i started breeding black sex links and by the way Butterprint sex links are idenfied by color thats how they are sexed

Yes, the Rhode Island Red rooster is most popular for crosses. You can also use a New Hampshire rooster, but the New Hampshire breed was created by selectively breeding Rhode Island Reds.

Yes, the Rhode Island Red rooster is most popular for crosses. You can also use a New Hampshire rooster, but the New Hampshire breed was created by selectively breeding Rhode Island Reds.

i just got 25 cinnamon queens from cackle i also have black sex links and a cross breed i cameup with i call them the mutt chickens its a white leghorn rooster and a barred rock hen they lay better than a barred rock but its a crap shoot some of them lay brown eggs and some of them lay white eggs and some of the chicks look like barred rocks and some of them look like cross breeds its funny to see a barred rock lay a white egg but some of my mutts do it

i just got 25 cinnamon queens from cackle i also have black sex links and a cross breed i cameup with i call them the mutt chickens its a white leghorn rooster and a barred rock hen they lay better than a barred rock but its a crap shoot some of them lay brown eggs and some of them lay white eggs and some of the chicks look like barred rocks and some of them look like cross breeds its funny to see a barred rock lay a white egg but some of my mutts do it
If you used a brown leghorn rooster for this cross, you could have sex link layers. The white in the leghorn plays merry havoc with other coloring, that's why you get funky colors.

I have two ladies that look like barred rocks--color, body shape, barring, clean face, yellow legs--except they have wonky combs and lay large blue/green eggs. That's why I love my mixed breeds!

If you used a brown leghorn rooster for this cross, you could have sex link layers. The white in the leghorn plays merry havoc with other coloring, that's why you get funky colors.

I have two ladies that look like barred rocks--color, body shape, barring, clean face, yellow legs--except they have wonky combs and lay large blue/green eggs. That's why I love my mixed breeds!

i know i breed sex links and two different purebred breeds i love crossing different breeds to see what the results are

They are pretty much the same thing, crossed breeds that pretty much look the same, can be sexed at time of hatch, made for great egg laying, and named differently by each hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom