Golden pheasant enclosure/pens

What do you mean? " the inside isn't separated from the outside by a wall"?
Each pen is separated by wire and the sheltered part is separated with plywood walls, so the sheltered part is 3-sided plywood walls.
Yeah, a 3 sides shelter. I'm just curious if that was a design choice or if the birds had a reason they didn't have a 4th wall with a smaller doorway to seperate the inside pen from the run

Yeah, a 3 sides shelter. I'm just curious if that was a design choice or if the birds had a reason they didn't have a 4th wall with a smaller doorway to seperate the inside pen from the run
The birds wouldn't go into a enclosed area and here in South Texas, it doesn't get cold enough to warrant having an enclosed sheltered area.
So, to answer your question, no, it wasn't by design but just how I have always built my enclosures. The only thing I wish I had done is to have added a roof over the runs but that really isn't necessary, either, the runs don't collect standing water unless it rains 4" an hour!!!

The design has enough room in the sheltered area to keep them out of the elements if they choose to and even when we had the 'deep freeze', 2 years ago, the waterers didn't freeze under the sheltered area, (8°F for several nights and didn't get above freezing for a week) and was actually warmer than the run areas, eventhough it is wide open, facing South. And it was the first time I have ever seen every single bird in the sheltered area, none roosting outside in the runs, like they normally roost.
The enclosure is built in a North to South configuration. Sheltered area to the North, run to the South.

Back
Top Bottom