Golden pheasant genetics question

Yeah, I figured genetics might get complicated pretty quickly. And that's ignoring the possibility of random mutations. I should be able to get pix of the pair later today, so I hope that will be useful for you.

I raise Shetland sheep, and the genetics of color inheritance and expression are interesting there, with multiple alleles allowing black/brown color expression (dominant white >grey>badgerface>lightbadgerface>solid), modifiers, spotting (multiple genes there which control where and how much contrast color shows up), and some other things we're still trying to figure out....And then there's horn inheritance, which MIGHT be sex linked, at least in rams, but seems to be more straightforward in ewes....

Here's the yellow golden hen. I apologize for the poor picture quality--she is a bit skittish and does not want to stand still. Also she looks more than a bit moth eaten at the moment because she's molting....

Attachments

• yellow golden pheasant hen.JPG
    yellow golden pheasant hen.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 23
  • yellow golden pheasant hen leg view.JPG
    yellow golden pheasant hen leg view.JPG
    336.2 KB · Views: 25
And the peach splash cock. He's a bit friendlier, but I know the pix still aren't great between the lighting and the fact that he's also in molt. Sorry about that! I'll try for better shots over the weekend.

Attachments

• peach golden pheasant.JPG
    peach golden pheasant.JPG
    604.8 KB · Views: 25
  • peach golden pheasant head shot.JPG
    peach golden pheasant head shot.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 25
  • peach golden pheasant body shot.JPG
    peach golden pheasant body shot.JPG
    490 KB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom