Golf netting for run cover?

Gigiintheforest

Songster
7 Years
Mar 4, 2012
Central Oklahoma
Has anyone used golf netting for their run cover? It is advertised to be very strong but is a bit expensive. However if it works better than bird or deer netting it might be worth it.

I have a lot of this stuff I got it from a golf course when we had a very bad wind storm a few years ago and it blew from the golf course and landed in some of my trees, This stuff is very heavy and very strong .

Do you think it would work over a large run to keep out hawks and owls? We have some very serious red tails and our run is rather large (20X30). I don't think regular bird netting would work at all.

We to have hawks and other birds of prey around that we wanted to keep out of the chicken run. We covered the top of the run with chicken wire. Our run is 8'x20' and we placed boards every so often to help support the chicken wire and then used scrap lumber to cover the edges of the wire and screwed that down. This has worked for the past 7 years we have been raising chickens. Now keeping the neighbors dogs out of the run is another story.

That is good to know. We live in a forested area by a lake and so have tons of predators -- raccoons, hawks, bobcats, owls -- you name it. It's difficult to find something that will block all the predators. My neighbors laugh at me and say that chickens just don't survive here but I'm very determined to build a fort knox if I have to - LOL. Nothing is going to eat my girls if I can help it.

Back
Top Bottom