Good broody or bad broody? Also question about nesting box.

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
I've read alot about broodiness and I can't help but wonder if this is a good broody or bad broody hen lol. To begin with. I didn't notice any sign of her going broody it just sorta happened that she was missing one morning and I found her in the nesting box. I gave her 2 goose eggs after one day of her sitting on a clutch of chicken eggs.

To begin with shes a first time broody and shes over a year old. She's a black Australorp.

It's been 4 days since she was noticed to be broody and it's made me wonder if what she does means shes a good hen to go broody or a bad hen to go broody.

Everyone mentions that they'll stay on the nest for days without eating or drinking but so far every day for morning and dinner when I go to feed she'll come out eat, drink and then within 10 minutes shes back inside the nesting box. Sometimes she won't come to the call but when I enter it seems she realizes theres food and then she goes out while letting out some cute sounding sounds XD.

Another thing she does or well more like doesn't do. She doesn't attack. I've heard you should never mess with a broody hen but I can put my hand down by her or under and even pet her and while she does let out an adorable squawk and puff up she doesn't bite me or anything. I feel like its a good thing for me but could it be possible even if she hatches babies she might not be aggressive enough to protect them?

Finally I know a dirty nesting box will make her health suffer but since she's very good at going out to eat and drink is it possible that would make the perfect time to do a quick dump of old straw and put in new to prevent to much filth or will she abandon it? I would like to refresh her straw atleast once or twice during her time brooding. I have reached in and removed a chicken egg I found under her 2 days ago but completely refilling a whole nest may be more noticeable than one tiny chicken egg amongst 2 giant goose eggs lol.

Everyone mentions that they'll stay on the nest for days without eating or drinking but so far every day for morning and dinner when I go to feed she'll come out eat, drink and then within 10 minutes shes back inside the nesting box. Sometimes she won't come to the call but when I enter it seems she realizes theres food and then she goes out while letting out some cute sounding sounds XD.
That sounds normal and healthy to me.
A broody hen does need to eat. Yours is eating, then going back to the nest within a reasonable length of time. If she ever stays off longer-- she can be off for at least an hour and the eggs will be just fine. So don't worry if this happens a few times.

Another thing she does or well more like doesn't do. She doesn't attack. I've heard you should never mess with a broody hen but I can put my hand down by her or under and even pet her and while she does let out an adorable squawk and puff up she doesn't bite me or anything. I feel like its a good thing for me but could it be possible even if she hatches babies she might not be aggressive enough to protect them?
I would not worry about it for now. Wait and see how it goes.

Finally I know a dirty nesting box will make her health suffer but since she's very good at going out to eat and drink is it possible that would make the perfect time to do a quick dump of old straw and put in new to prevent to much filth or will she abandon it? I would like to refresh her straw atleast once or twice during her time brooding. I have reached in and removed a chicken egg I found under her 2 days ago but completely refilling a whole nest may be more noticeable than one tiny chicken egg amongst 2 giant goose eggs lol.
If the straw in the nest does not look dirty, just leave it alone. It is normal for the same bedding to stay in the nest for the entire length of incubation, as long as the hen doesn't actually poop in it (and if she gets off to eat or drink, she will probably do her pooping while she is up.)

If the straw does get dirty, just replace it and hope for the best. Most broody hens will continue to sit on the nest even if you change out their bedding, but I would only try that if it seems needed (no point in pushing your luck if the straw is fine.)

That sounds normal and healthy to me.
A broody hen does need to eat. Yours is eating, then going back to the nest within a reasonable length of time. If she ever stays off longer-- she can be off for at least an hour and the eggs will be just fine. So don't worry if this happens a few times.

I would not worry about it for now. Wait and see how it goes.

If the straw in the nest does not look dirty, just leave it alone. It is normal for the same bedding to stay in the nest for the entire length of incubation, as long as the hen doesn't actually poop in it (and if she gets off to eat or drink, she will probably do her pooping while she is up.)

If the straw does get dirty, just replace it and hope for the best. Most broody hens will continue to sit on the nest even if you change out their bedding, but I would only try that if it seems needed (no point in pushing your luck if the straw is fine.)
I'm glad all seems normal. Shes our first ever broody hen.

Okay I'll take a peek into the nestbox whenever she leaves the nest. I do so anyways to see if she has any chicken eggs under her.

I'm working in the coop the next few days. Doing full spring cleanout, removing any of the winter stuff we added. It's alot of work for one person so Its gonna take a few days lol Gives me time to see if any of the other birds are bothering her.

To begin with shes a first time broody and shes over a year old. She's a black Australorp.
I've had great first time broody hens. I've had broodies that had problems their second time but were great the first time when they hatched and raised chicks. Each time is unique, any of them can be good or bad any time.

Everyone mentions that they'll stay on the nest for days without eating or drinking
Not everyone. I don't mention that and can think of several others that don't. People I trust like NatJ and Aart.

I once had a broody that came off of the nest two times a day and stayed off for just over 1 hour each time. I had a hen that come off every morning at the same time and stayed off for about 15 minutes. I've had hens that I never saw off of the nest but I knew they were coming off since they did not poop in their nests. All of these had great hatches.

Before a hen or pullet even starts laying eggs she stores up additional fat in case she ever goes broody. Even the ones that never go broody. I've butchered enough male and female chickens of various ages where this is obvious. This fat is mostly what they live off of while on the nest incubating. That way they can take care of the eggs instead of having to be off looking for food or water. A broody should occasionally come off to eat, drink, and poop but you may never see her.

Another thing she does or well more like doesn't do. She doesn't attack. I've heard you should never mess with a broody hen but I can put my hand down by her or under and even pet her and while she does let out an adorable squawk and puff up she doesn't bite me or anything.
Each hen is unique. When I was a kid my job was to collect the eggs. Six decades later I still remember a certain hen that was downright vicious. If you reached in her nest you might draw your hand back bloody. I did not want to check under her for fresh eggs but even more I did not want to tell my father I was afraid of a chicken. If you get a hen like that you might want to wear long sleeves and a glove.

A few of my broodies will peck a time or two if I reach under them to raise them up to check for fresh eggs. Most don't.

I feel like its a good thing for me but could it be possible even if she hatches babies she might not be aggressive enough to protect them?
Each hen is unique. A seemingly meek mild broody to you may be an absolute terror when protecting her babies from other hens. Or the other way around. With living animals you never know.

The only time I've totally changed out bedding material was when an egg broke in the nest and made a mess. That did not bother the hen but the other eggs got dirty and did not hatch anyway.

By instinct the hen should know to not poop in the nest. Mine don't.
Hens have been hatching chicks without human intervention for thousands of years, even before they were domesticated. We now keep them confined, provide nests, and provide food and water so things are a little different. I check under mine every day for any eggs that don't belong but other than that I try very hard to not interfere with her. The more I interfere the more harm I do.

I've always touched my broodies, they were all fairly tame anyway.
It's a good thing.
You should be checking daily for new eggs laid in the nest so you can remove them.
We only have 4 out of 9 "tame" hens lol. 3 Black Australorps and 1 Buff Orpington.

I figured with having given her goose eggs since they take longer than chicken eggs I might as well check for new eggs under her atleast until I know the goose eggs will hatch first.

I've had great first time broody hens. I've had broodies that had problems their second time but were great the first time when they hatched and raised chicks. Each time is unique, any of them can be good or bad any time.

Not everyone. I don't mention that and can think of several others that don't. People I trust like NatJ and Aart.

I once had a broody that came off of the nest two times a day and stayed off for just over 1 hour each time. I had a hen that come off every morning at the same time and stayed off for about 15 minutes. I've had hens that I never saw off of the nest but I knew they were coming off since they did not poop in their nests. All of these had great hatches.

Before a hen or pullet even starts laying eggs she stores up additional fat in case she ever goes broody. Even the ones that never go broody. I've butchered enough male and female chickens of various ages where this is obvious. This fat is mostly what they live off of while on the nest incubating. That way they can take care of the eggs instead of having to be off looking for food or water. A broody should occasionally come off to eat, drink, and poop but you may never see her.

Each hen is unique. When I was a kid my job was to collect the eggs. Six decades later I still remember a certain hen that was downright vicious. If you reached in her nest you might draw your hand back bloody. I did not want to check under her for fresh eggs but even more I did not want to tell my father I was afraid of a chicken. If you get a hen like that you might want to wear long sleeves and a glove.

A few of my broodies will peck a time or two if I reach under them to raise them up to check for fresh eggs. Most don't.

Each hen is unique. A seemingly meek mild broody to you may be an absolute terror when protecting her babies from other hens. Or the other way around. With living animals you never know.

The only time I've totally changed out bedding material was when an egg broke in the nest and made a mess. That did not bother the hen but the other eggs got dirty and did not hatch anyway.

By instinct the hen should know to not poop in the nest. Mine don't.
Hens have been hatching chicks without human intervention for thousands of years, even before they were domesticated. We now keep them confined, provide nests, and provide food and water so things are a little different. I check under mine every day for any eggs that don't belong but other than that I try very hard to not interfere with her. The more I interfere the more harm I do.
It's strange they could be good the first time and bad the next.

It's good they store up before hand.

I'm not afraid of any of our flock but I am cautious about our Gander and our Rooster. Though we do only have 4 girls that let me interact with them while their on the nest. Our light brahma has drawn blood. She used to be sweet but within the past few months shes become a little brat so I've waiting till she gets off to check for eggs. There two others I dont check under either. Gold who is a EE and little demon whose our 4th black Australorp. I'm not so much scared of them I just hate dealing with it lol

Thats a relief that her gentleness doesn't necessarily mean she's not going to protect them. Our geese are the biggest concern when it comes to aggression. Were gonna be trying to get their new pen done soon but I don't think itll be done before she hatches anything.

Hands off sounds reasonable.

Thank you. I'm going to assume shes doing good for a first time broody. Whether shes a good mama I'll just have to wait and find out. I didn't check for eggs this morning so I'll check at dinner time.

Back
Top Bottom