Good info on Cornish Cross, Freedom Rangers, Slow Cornish trials

UncleHoot

Songster
12 Years
May 22, 2007
St. Johns, Michigan
I came across this today. The FCR's are for pounds of feed to pound of meat, keep in mind. So 3.8 is right around a 2.5 FCR for live-weight. My last batch of Cornish X was right around 3.8 as well, so that probably means I could expect my 150 freedom rangers to be around 5.2. Good thing I raised my prices.
smile.png

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/soilmgmt/SusAg_PasturedPoultry.htm

That's very handy. Wish I'd seen it before getting my rangers. The feed consumption seems right on, and I'd underestimated (I think math error rather than conceptual error) and had to get a second order of mash mixed.

When we were producing the original Freedom Rangers, I can tell you that we used 16lbs feed to get the bird to 5lbs live weight.
So that's a bit way out from the 5.2 FCR you are speaking about.
I do not know if there is anyone new producing Freedom Rangers. but we did not sell the rights to our name, so watch out .

Barbara Aaron
Freedom Rangers

I do not know if there is anyone new producing Freedom Rangers. but we did not sell the rights to our name, so watch out .

What do you mean by this? Freedom Rangers were developed by Hubbard... in France...​

Quote:
I've been on vacation for awhile, so I missed this.

Barbara, I think you are are mixing up the live-weight and hanging(?)-weight values. A FCR of 5.2 would result in a live-weight FCR of around 3.5. 16 lbs feed per 5 lbs live weight would be a FCR of 3.2. A difference of .3 (less than 10%) is certainly within the realm of reasonable variance, depending on how the birds were raised differently.

Since this article is dated, I would imagine that they used the actual "Freedom Ranger" birds in 2007, just like they also used "Kosher Kings".

The freedomrangers.net web-site used to have FCR information, but it's gone now...
sad.png

Quote:
What do you mean by this? Freedom Rangers were developed by Hubbard... in France...

She's referring to the "Freedom Ranger" name itself. JM Hatchery sells "Colored Range Broilers", which is technically what I have coming, but they were both produced using the same lines, iirc.

Back
Top Bottom