Goose egg hatching, best incubators and methods?

Would you mind detailing your incubation process? Just hatched out my first batch of chicks, and that was easy enough, but info I’m finding online about goose incubation seems quite different. We have Brown Chinese.

I appreciate it!
Hello All!:frow

I used my nurture right 360 to hatch my first few goose eggs, and it worked great! Its too small to hatch a larger number of goose eggs, so I got a GQF cabinet incubator to be able to do more eggs from my flock. I was curious how seasoned hatchers hatch their goose eggs? During season (spring) I plan on only hatching out goose eggs, so im trying to come up with a good strategy to work with my flock on this, and be as successful as i can be :bun

I have 6 females of mixed ages (1y/o to 5 y/o), and am going to estimate somewhere around 20 eggs a week give or take (or so, assuming all females are laying somewhere around every other day, consistently) :)
I know I wont be able to set all the eggs, but I know some of my geese (pilgrims) have low hatch rates inherent to the breed, and I do want to set as many as I can. So I was thinking that I could set 10-15ish eggs per tray once a week (i believe thats all that will fit on one tray). I only have 3 trays so on the third week, the cabinet would be "full" of goose eggs. If I staggered like this, id have a hatch happening once a week, for the three back to back weeks. I was planning on NOT using the cabinet as a hatcher, since goose egg lockdown would call for a bit higher humidity, and a lowering of temp. Im not super concerned about opening the door to the incubator, since I did do the misting and cooling for my first goose eggs, and I do feel this worked well with the eggs, and plan on doing that again.
I'm going to be getting one (hopefully larger, maybe two if I need to) foam still air incubators to use as hatchers. Anyone have any recommendations on good larger hatchers? I'm counting out any cabinet model hatchers this year, i already broke the bank big time with the one i already got $$$:eek:

Ok, thats my strategy for incubating and hatching (in a nutshell). What do you think? Suggestions? Recommendations?:old:old

Thanks all, happy hatching :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

Cheers
M:bun

its similar to hatching ducks (there should be info online about that readily) let me see if i can find a BYC link to duck egg incubation. Better yet, there may be one that is just for "waterfowl" as the two processes dont really differ....

Back
Top Bottom