Goose in a bachelor flock of drakes?

Duckduckgoosie

Songster
May 27, 2021
Austin, Texas
I find myself raising 13 ducklings and a gosling, and pretty soon need to decide who to keep. We’re pretty set on keeping the gosling because it’s so, so sweet and then would like to keep all one gender of some of the ducklings. Five are drakes, and I am considering keeping them as a bachelor flock. Would a goose be okay with all male ducks? I don’t know the gosling’s sex yet but hopefully get their dna test result in a few days. Another option, if goose is a girl, is to keep some female ducks.

Everyone is the same age about 5 weeks old and have lived happily together in the brooder since day 1, raised tame and affectionate by me and my family. I’m sad to break up the bird family unit but eager to plan who stays with us. This is a pet situation. Ducks are Indian runners, gosling is a mix of Grey pilgrim and Sebastopol with very sweet parents.

Attachments

• 756B38BF-71E4-4112-BCA9-7E72D5C443D1.jpeg
    756B38BF-71E4-4112-BCA9-7E72D5C443D1.jpeg
    857.4 KB · Views: 46
Would OP have to worry about the goose or gander harming the ducks*/drakes during breeding season?

Perhaps some aggression on the part of a goose in an all duck flock, but not a problem given enough space. In my experience ganders have not been particularly aggressive towards drakes unless provoked.

I would probably keep 3 ducks, if gosling is female, or my 5 drakes, if gosling is male. Pen is quite roomy and they will free range in the garden bunch.

Back
Top Bottom