Goslings and adding to adult female pair, gosling question

EnsignIdonia

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 19, 2014
Genesee County
Hi there.

We just got some new goslings, a male and 3 females, from a local breeder. As soon as they came home the male has not stopped being active and loud. We're happy about that because our adult gander passed away from what we suspect was an unknown heart or health issue from hatching.

They're in our house for socializing and keeping an eye on them. However, our girl geese are still laying and we think they might be a bit lonely or still broody.

So we have two questions:

How big of a risk is it to introduce and give our ladies these babies? Aside from how much goslings cost these days and the time it takes to raise them, their safety and health is my first concern. We have a covered house for the geese where they are sheltered from the worst weather and a heat coil that won't break or start a fire to keep the babies warm in the house.

We think the male hatched first and imprinted on humans. He's very, very loud and jumps or runs against the side of the brooder when humans are near. If he's being held and one of the humans in the rooms moves or he cant' see them, he calls out loudly again. He just sits under our chins or in the crook of our elbows and wants to be pet.
What do we do so he's happy? We can't hold him constantly, we want him to be happy when we can't spend 24/7 outside as an older juvenile.

I love my geese and my favorite activity is to sit with them for a couple hours each day in the nice weather and my kids visit them thoroughout the day too.

Here is the photo for tax
440304933_442244671785852_2306672377709267421_n.jpg

Some geese even some ganders will take them up immediately. Not sure all will you can try slowly introducing. at some point they may not give them back. Have a couple that will hiss at me till I give them to them. All they have to hear is the chip.

Update:
We took them outside to the goose yard and house. We showed them the babies on the other side of the fence and held one up for them. They nipped the air and we thought they didn't like my hands.
We took them inside the goose yard with the box. They didn't really want to see them.

We saw they were still brooding on the nest so we wondered if they would take them. One stood up off the nest, put her beak near the baby I was sitting next to on the ground. She nipped the air and then touched the baby with her beak. We thought she didn't want me nearby or wanted the baby under. We put the baby next to her and I moved away. She actually closed her beak on the baby's neck and I scooped the baby up. Our other female just hissed like crazy, mouth open. She refused to be calm at all near the babies.

We brought them back inside after feeding the girls a bunch of treats with the babies in a box nearby. We'll try to introduce them when the babies are older in a few weeks.

The screaming baby continues to scream for people.

Back
Top Bottom