got a incubation question

tinamommy727

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 30, 2011
I have only four hens, two buff orpingtons and two leghorns, I have a 20 egg incubator, over a period of five days can I add to the incubator, or do I have to have 20 eggs to start with on one day. Please let me know, thank you!

You can collect the eggs and store them until you are ready to incubate. Most say you can safely keep them for ten days. I stored mine up in the pantry in an ice tray. I turned them a few times a day. They hatched great. You can add some after you have started incubating, but probably wouldn't want to get more than a day or two later. When hatch time comes it's easier if they all hatch together so you can get them out sooner.

You are best off to save up a batch of eggs and start them all at once. No problem holding eggs 7 days or even a little more if necessary. A staggered hatch is a major pain to deal with.

I think you could probably put them in over a period of 2 days. Otherwise, it may be hard to keep track. The first time I started incubating eggs, I put them in at different days. None of them hatched, so I think it's best to put them in on the same day. Although, I think it would be okay to put them in within two days of putting the others in.

Last edited:
i had no idea that you can keep them up to seven to ten days! That's awesome! I am going to try that.

They should be fine. I live in northern ny and mine have been cold but are still all developing. I have saved them as long as 2 weeks and still had luck. anything over a week though starts to decrease there chance some.

Back
Top Bottom