Granny's gone and done it again

I haven't let them out yet. I don't have a place to put them down where I could catch them easy.

That's hard, and you are so busy with camp cooking.  You will enjoy them much more then they are outside.  No extra wire to make a little corral for them? 

I can see through the poop.  It's going to be a nice looking duck/drake (??? huge minster!)  Still not sure what color though.  Love it when they are all different colors so I can tell them apart. 

I have extra wire, but I'd rather just spend that effort getting the coop ready. I have an XXL dog kennel that's wrapped in chicken wire and missing its bottom tray that I can let them in tomorrow while I clean up the brooder. Hopefully they'll clean themselves up and won't need an actual bath.

If it's warm enough, you can hose them off a bit or give them something to wade in.  Then pull the pen over to clean grass so they can dry. 

I'm really struggling with "what's warm enough?" Chicks this age would've been dead so many times. Some of the cold days I've gone out and they were as far from the bulb as possible. It's just a red 60watt, not even like a real heat lamp. I'm going to put them in a puddle in the grass. We've had like 8 inches of rain this weekend, so not much chance for drying in the grass. :/

Sorry, I am experiencing quoting difficulties.
roll.png

They are pretty big and the large size allows them to stay warmer longer. If it's a sunny day in the low 70s-upper 60s, I bet they would be fine getting wet for a little while, as long as they can warm up again later. Same thing as chicks, if they huddle up, they're probably a little cold.

Think about if the mama was raising them, they couldn't all fit under her, so the extra body mass allows them to make more heat for themselves.

Last edited:
what a way to spend an evening. Thanks guys for putting up with all this. Im sorry . Maybe that was MY penence for tricking Twist this am.? LOL yes, I would do it again.

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/1137464/grannys-gone-and-done-it-again/12310#post_17817410 layout=inline]Sorry, I am experiencing quoting difficulties.  :rolleyes: [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/1137464/grannys-gone-and-done-it-again/12310#post_17817410 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/1137464/grannys-gone-and-done-it-again/12310#post_17817410 layout=inline]They are pretty big and the large size allows them to stay warmer longer.  If it's a sunny day in the low 70s-upper 60s, I bet they would be fine getting wet for a little while, as long as they can warm up again later.  Same thing as chicks, if they huddle up, they're probably a little cold.[/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/1137464/grannys-gone-and-done-it-again/12310#post_17817410 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/1137464/grannys-gone-and-done-it-again/12310#post_17817410 layout=inline]Think about if the mama was raising them, they couldn't all fit under her, so the extra body mass allows them to make more heat for themselves. [/CONTENTEMBED]

It's been in the 40s-50s this weekend. Supposed to get down to freezing on the next weekend. I guess it's just the lack of fluffy feathers that's mind boggling.

Yeah, that seems pretty cold,but I don't have much memory of the first ducks we had. No light after they got moved outside pre-feathers, but it was summer. My mama duck took care of th others. Never had a light for them.

Camping, can you ask your farm neighbor for advice on how much you need to worry about them getting cold?

Yeah, that seems pretty cold,but I don't have much memory of the first ducks we had.  No light after they got moved outside pre-feathers, but it was summer.  My mama duck took care of th others.  Never had a light for them. 

Camping, can you ask your farm neighbor for advice on how much you need to worry about them getting cold?

She's like enola, doesn't coddle anything. Sink or swim. :lau I think she has a couple heat lamps in the barn, but everything is open and they all just wander and mingle.

camping, that's what the guy did who I got my original Seramas. He was up in the mountains, very cold temps, and no heat for them outside of the brooder. He lost a lot, but the ones that survived were cold hardy.

Back
Top Bottom