grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wishing, a friend of ours has chickens and she gave us 12 eggs, for our two little Serama broodies. Only five were fertile. This one hatched first, the second hatched, but died within a couple of minute and wasn't completely formed on back end. The third and fourth were 10 days past hatch and when we opened them, they were just dark fussy goo. The fifth was pecked open and just found an eye and beak, the rest was just sticky mess, so we think the chickens knew it wasn't going to form. I don't remember all that much about this part of rearing, from when I was a kid though.

I remember you saying this before, but as you will find out, my memory is strong as a steel sieve.

Seramas are awfully small for hatching large eggs. Broody hens will pluck their breasts so the skin is in contact with the eggs, which they turn frequently to even out the heat for the entire egg. After seeing my seramas hatch a few of their own eggs, I think it might too much of a difficult feat for them to regulate heat for large eggs. Although not for lack of trying. They are little broody monsters!

Well, I've procrastinated long enough. I was supposed to start packing three days ago. Just washed the laundry last night, so I guess I best be tossing it in the dryer. I hope y'all have a terrific morning, day, eve... where ever y'all are!

Ha! I remembered! Going to CT, right? Have fun!

Thank you Danna! I appreciate it. It's always warm fuzzy's, with a great support group here... although, I don't think there's any help for suffering from communititess. lol

Thank you Danna! I appreciate it. It's always warm fuzzy's, with a great support group here... although, I don't think there's any help for suffering from communititess. lol
hugs.gif

What happened to steel sieve? hahaha Yes, I'm planning on it.

Well, I only wanted one more chicken, because we have 11 and I don't do well with odd numbers, unless it's by 5's (las). The lady said we couldn't have just one egg, because there was no guarantee they would be fertile, or develop, so she gave us twelve. I put all eggs in one nest, because we only had one broody. She puffed way out and covered most, but two days later the other Serama joined her and they both sat together on all the eggs. Between the two of them, I thought the poor eggs were going to combust before they got them to hatch, but they did just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom