*GRAPHIC* Courtunix Quail Hen with hole in head…will she make it?

NC_Quail

Would rather be gardening
Aug 28, 2021
Raleigh, North Carolina
F1B9F97F-7F67-4658-8E96-7CF4E9A58806.jpeg

We have a couturnix quail hen who was being picked on by the rooster. She has been separated from the rooster, is it possible to treat this, or should i cull?

You don't need to cull. This looks worse than it is. Make sure it's all clean, put some anti-bacterial cream or gel (without painkiller) and keep her separated for a few days. It will scab over and she'll heal.

You don't need to cull. This looks worse than it is. Make sure it's all clean, put some anti-bacterial cream or gel (without painkiller) and keep her separated for a few days. It will scab over and she'll
ok, I will try this first then. I had no idea that the roo would do so much damage, especially when they are so young still (the hen hasn’t started laying yet). I guess sometimes you have to learn this the hard way. :idunno

Also, I need some advice in terms of managing our males. Right now, we have 2 males and 2 females (we are going to hatch more as soon as possible). We have the 2 females separated from the males, but the males are crowing incessantly, and i am worried about aggression between these two males. I am going to cull the second male anyway, but I wasn’t sure if it was ok to leave one male by himself. I could put both females in (once the injured one is healed), but i was worried that could cause more injuries and harassment. Should i cull both males and just keep the two hens until the eggs hatch?
Thanks for all the help and quick responses. :)

Last edited:
ok, I will try this first then. I had no idea that the roo would do so much damage, especially when they are so young still (the hen hasn’t started laying yet). I guess sometimes you have to learn this the hard way. :idunno
Also, I need some advice in terms of managing our males. Right now, we have 2 males and 2 females (we are going to hatch more as soon as possible). We have the 2 females separated from the males, but the males are crowing incessantly, and i am worried about aggression between these two males. I am going to cull the second male anyway, but I wasn’t sure if it was ok to leave one male by himself. I could put both females in (once the injured one is healed), but i was worried that could cause more injuries and harassment. Should i cull both males and just keep the two hens until the eggs hatch?
Thanks for all the help and quick responses. :)
Also, I forgot to add, when you said i should keep the injured hen separated, did you mean i should keep her separated from the other hen as well? I was worried about leaving her alone (especially given how skiddish quail are) but i know how aggressive chickens can be to injured flock members, and i wasn’t sure if quail were the same.

Also, I forgot to add, when you said i should keep the injured hen separated, did you mean i should keep her separated from the other hen as well? I was worried about leaving her alone (especially given how skiddish quail are) but i know how aggressive chickens can be to injured flock members, and i wasn’t sure if quail were the same.
One more thing: should i put a bandage of some kind on that? I assume she would try and take it off somehow.

Back
Top Bottom