(GRAPHIC IMAGE) Help Needed, Family Member's Chicken Had Severe Vent Prolapse

GMJoyce

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2021
Hi guys, we need some pretty urgent help regarding a chicken, the local vet wasn't much help as they basically said that the vent needs to go back inside or the chicken put down, but we're really struggling to get it back in. We think the large intestine has also come out of her as we can see the poop hole and the egg laying hole seperately.

We're really not sure what we can do, everything looks quite swollen and if we push it back in she pushes it back out herself by contracting her muscles.
Currently we've managed to get the two eggs that she'd had trapped in her vent out and are keeping her in the dark to stop her from laying further. We're avoiding giving grain foods as the vet suggested not to.

We've tried to apply antiseptic cream and sugar to the prolapsed area to reduce it down before attempting to push back in but it looks very bad.

Warning the image is quite graphic. I'll put it down below avert your eyes if you can't handle it

31cfe8a6-edb9-4b87-a700-a264314348fe.png

Hi guys, we need some pretty urgent help regarding a chicken, the local vet wasn't much help as they basically said that the vent needs to go back inside or the chicken put down, but we're really struggling to get it back in. We think the large intestine has also come out of her as we can see the poop hole and the egg laying hole seperately.

We're really not sure what we can do, everything looks quite swollen and if we push it back in she pushes it back out herself by contracting her muscles.
Currently we've managed to get the two eggs that she'd had trapped in her vent out and are keeping her in the dark to stop her from laying further. We're avoiding giving grain foods as the vet suggested not to.

We've tried to apply antiseptic cream and sugar to the prolapsed area to reduce it down before attempting to push back in but it looks very bad.

Warning the image is quite graphic. I'll put it down below avert your eyes if you can't handle it

That is certainly very bad.
Personally, I would euthanize.
I euthanized a hen with a much less severe prolapse than that as she, too, kept pushing the swollen tissue back out. If you can't get the swelling down, she will always strain to push at it and it will pop back out.
Did the vet prescribe Metacam or anything else for pain and inflammation?

Welcome to BYC! I'm sorry it's not under better circumstances.
That looks pretty bad. Gosh, I don't know what to tell you. I just don't see her bouncing back from that. It's a bad prolapse.
@azygous ? Can you help?

Back
Top Bottom