Greeley, CO and surrounding areas?

KimKat33

Songster
Mar 7, 2020
Colorado
Hello all!

So I am planning on moving towards Greeley, CO and I want to take my chickens with me. Can I get some help understanding the chicken laws? I tried to search it on google, looked at title 7, but I am not really seeing anything that mentions if there is a maximum amount of chickens I can have and I also do not see anything about a rooster. I was hoping I could get some help figuring this all out. I understand HOAs have their own separate rules, and because of that I do not plan on moving into an HOA area.

I understand most cities put a cap on the amount of chickens I can have, so I have also been looking at the surrounding areas. Evans, Garden City, Lucerne, even Eaton. So any helpful information from any of those cities would be much appreciated! :)

The only cities that cap the limit on chickens or have other poultry restrictions are those that have actually written ordinances on the subject. Not all cities include poultry references in their ordinances. In my experience the larger cities don't deny keeping chickens and the richer the city, the more likely they are to allow keeping them. The poorer they are, the more likely they are to restrict chicken keeping.
Out of the 100 largest cities in the US, 92 allow chickens.
To know for sure, go to city hall and get a copy of the ordinances from the city clerk.

Here's a blog post I found. It's not a definitive answer, but it might be of some help, especially when combined with other info: http://www.lifetransplanet.com/can-i-have-chickens-in-greeley-colorado/
Yeah before I posted, I was searching for a little bit and came across that as well. Thank you though!
The only cities that cap the limit on chickens or have other poultry restrictions are those that have actually written ordinances on the subject. Not all cities include poultry references in their ordinances. In my experience the larger cities don't deny keeping chickens and the richer the city, the more likely they are to allow keeping them. The poorer they are, the more likely they are to restrict chicken keeping.
Out of the 100 largest cities in the US, 92 allow chickens.
To know for sure, go to city hall and get a copy of the ordinances from the city clerk.
I can view the ordinances online, but they don't really specify anything. I'm just trying to avoid future headaches lol! Thank you!

If the ordinances don't mention poultry or livestock, you are free to proceed. You can't get in trouble for something there is no law against.
If you are moving into a subdivision, they will invariably have indentures against chickens.

If the ordinances don't mention poultry or livestock, you are free to proceed. You can't get in trouble for something there is no law against.
If you are moving into a subdivision, they will invariably have indentures against chickens.
They mention fowl/poultry as a different definition from livestock, but there's still really nothing said about poultry. Thank you!

I'll ask the obvious. Why Greeley? There are many quaint areas outside of Greeley in the county that are unregulated. Many will have a Greeley address but they aren't.
I don't want to live within the actual city and I am completely fine with living in unincorporated areas. I just dont really know how to phrase it, nor am I completely familiar with the Greeley area.

So what do they say about fowl?
From what I gathered, it just is a definition to make it a separate entity from livestock. As far as I have read in article 7, there's nothing else about it besides the regulations for transporting them.

I don't want to live within the actual city and I am completely fine with living in unincorporated areas. I just dont really know how to phrase it, nor am I completely familiar with the Greeley area.

From what I gathered, it just is a definition to make it a separate entity from livestock. As far as I have read in article 7, there's nothing else about it besides the regulations for transporting them.
I read the ordinances for my city as did other chicken keepers here and we didn't decipher that they would be illegal. I had them for years as did others. Then there was an article about me in the St. Louis newspaper and the mayor had a conniption fit when he read it. He said, "Do you realize someone in (our city) has chickens? We have to make him get rid of his chickens." He didn't even know that his next door neighbor had chickens. After a year of packing city hall twice a month and bringing in the media, we had new ordinances written that allowed all of us to be grandfathered and anyone else who wanted to keep chickens allowed to keep 5 chickens and a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom