greetings from a new to forums aspiring micro farmer

welcome-byc.gif

How "micro" is your farm? A few of us on suburban lots are trying to see how much we can raise/grow in our yards.

"Also fed up with the grind and taking another path.

Jena."

power to the people. the only way we really can extract our selves from the corporate model is to get together and feed ourselves.

hey hoosier with that name I'm sure we're nearly neighbors.

How "micro" is your farm? one acre of my own but I have access to more, if and when I want it, but thats in the future. for now I'm starting around my house and making my way out.
a garden already chickens and rabits this year then ??

Way cool Matt
big_smile.png

I have a small suburban lot...front yard is about 25'x30'. Backyard 30'x50'? I also have a few feet on the side yards. One side yard is getting raised beds this year. The back yard already has 2 grape vines, 1 pear tree and 2 apple trees. I also have an herb garden.

This year I did a coop garden with 2 of my girlfriends. 2 of us provided seeds and bedding plants, and one girl provided the space. We all chipped in for planting and weeding. It worked out great and we are expanding it next year. Last growing season we had a bunch of kale, some kohlrabi, basil, lots of zucchini, pumpkins, spaghetti squash, some peppers and tomatoes.

Last edited:
to wifezilla:
it sounds like your doing more with about a tenth of the land than I. keep it up. I personally only recently began to loose my black thumb. I grew up on a five acre farm though so I think someday that will help. i too am building more raised beds this year. I have two already but I don't like where I put them, their too far from my door.
if every suburbanite was like you we would live in a modern-day garden of eden. oh btw I'm the fae part of my username. I try to incude my husband matt whenever I can.

Back
Top Bottom