Greetings from central florida!

Hmr1117

Hatching
May 7, 2024
Hi everyone! Relatively new chicken mom here. We got our first 6 last year as babies and they began laying in January and it's been lovely! We just added 6 new babies which brings us to 10 layers and 1 roo (working on removing him though as my neighbors are complaining) I'm not sure of the breeds as we were not specific when buying them we just wanted large eggs and frequent layers 😀
So far we love having the chickens they are fun to watch and we enjoy going to give them treats and watching them follow us around. ❤️ and of course we love the eggs!
My husband and I were both born and raised on this area, and went to high school together. After graduating he went into the navy and we got married shortly thereafter. We have been married just over 22 years and have 2 kids, 16 and 17 years old. Husband retired in 2020 and here we are!

Thankful to have found this group since we recently got a code violation notice saying we have to remove our chickens and we are trying to figure out how to fight it since many others around us have them. Loving all of the resources here! And looking forward to working our way around this!

Welcome to BYC. I would try and find them a home together, including the rooster. Things aren't likely to go your way if there is a code in place saying you can't have chickens, even if others in the neighborhood do. If you are able to get the city to approve chickens, it will probably be some time in the future.

Hi everyone! Relatively new chicken mom here. We got our first 6 last year as babies and they began laying in January and it's been lovely! We just added 6 new babies which brings us to 10 layers and 1 roo (working on removing him though as my neighbors are complaining) I'm not sure of the breeds as we were not specific when buying them we just wanted large eggs and frequent layers 😀
So far we love having the chickens they are fun to watch and we enjoy going to give them treats and watching them follow us around. ❤️ and of course we love the eggs!
My husband and I were both born and raised on this area, and went to high school together. After graduating he went into the navy and we got married shortly thereafter. We have been married just over 22 years and have 2 kids, 16 and 17 years old. Husband retired in 2020 and here we are!

Thankful to have found this group since we recently got a code violation notice saying we have to remove our chickens and we are trying to figure out how to fight it since many others around us have them. Loving all of the resources here! And looking forward to working our way around this!
I'm so sorry to read this. That's just so bad

Do you have any friends or family with land that could Foster them for a while that could hopefully adopt them if you fail to resolve this

:welcome

Glad to meet you, and welcome to BYC. As others have said, it's tough to argue to keep birds when there is a law or rule saying NO. But you CAN work to change the law. In the meantime, Janie has a good idea to keep the flock together when you need to rehome them.

Here is a helpful website on changing laws about keeping birds, in addition to the link NFC gives above. I like the detail she gives, with lots of tips and advice.

To rehome the birds, try posting if you have a local Facebook poultry or chicken owner's website. You can also post here, at your state thread, and in the rehome link. Be sure to explain in all the posts WHY you have to give them away. Including a good picture of some of your flock may help them get good homes. If you can tell where you got the birds, and any info on their behavior and egg laying, it may also help (especially roosters!). Include information on the nearest town so folks know how far they would have to drive to get the birds.

Back
Top Bottom