Grit vs. Oyster shell what I saw today

schmoo

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
West MI.
I was at TSC (tractor supply co.) for those that don't have them around and I was going to buy some grit. GUESS what the first ing. on the bag of adult chicken grit was........ OYSTER SHELL???!!! then a bunch of other stuff like granite etc.

The oyster shell had just oyster shell.

Now why the heck would the grits first ingredient be oyster shell? I don't get it.
hmm.png

Does this help clear it up??

"When discussing grit, it is important to realize there are actually two types: soluble and insoluble. Soluble forms of grit include cuttlebone, oyster shell, limestone, and gypsum. Soluble grit is dissolved by acids as it passes through the bird's digestive system, therefore there is little danger of it accumulating in the digestive system or causing an obstruction. Because it dissolves, it does little to aid in the digestion of whole seeds. It does, however, serve as a source of calcium and other minerals.

Insoluble grit is generally in the form of silica, and may range in size from sand to small pebbles. Insoluble grit"

From what I've read...it seems that grit is kind of a catch-all word which can be misleading. One really needs to read the packages to make sure what kind of grit they are getting. Some types of birds only require the soluble forms of grit...chickens need both.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom