Ground vs Wire

bfrancis

Songster
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
Per a conversation that was started on anther topic thought perhaps we could carry on the conversation here. Ground vs Wire topic will be to list known pros and cons of each, what works and doesn't work for individual hobbyist and breeders alike.

This topic is not designed to start arguments or decisively say what is right or wrong, just what people have out there and maybe some reasons. Through this conversation maybe we all will learn a little more and discover new techniques that you can you use with your program.

I'm hoping to see tons of photos of everyone's set-ups
big_smile.png

I'm a ground guy...This is my current set-up for Coturnix. It is a 12' x 24' roof divided into 8, 3' runs with a 5/12 pitch roof. Each run has it's own door.

52686_imgp6867.jpg

52686_imgp6874.jpg

My DW is 5'4" for a size comparison.

The entire structure is covered by 2"x4" welded wire and 1" poultry wire. The individual runs are divided by poultry wire. I have poultry wire on the ceiling to prevent injuries in case of a sudden fly up. Being in the woods with tons of night-time predators, another thing we have is 24" aprons around the perimeter made of both welded wire and poultry wire to prevent digging.

As far as cleaning, the pens are misted with Oxine once a week. They have sand for dust baths. We have not had any parasite issues at all.

Although the birds are new to this building, our birds have been outside on the ground for over 2 years. They just out-grew the old house we had for them, but the set-up was similar, just smaller scale.

Let's see Yours!

I like your setup, Bfrancis. Or should I say, Master Carptenter Bfrancis?
smile.png

I am planning to get some coturnix in the near future. I would like to do it your way, but I believe it is going to be best for me to keep them off the ground due to cocci in the soil here. Plus I have chickens free ranging and don't want to take a chance on spreading disease if they come beak to beak. I may even be keeping any quail I get in cages in a building and put pans underneath.

Quote:
SHOW IT!
big_smile.png

I don't remove the birds..it non-toxic if mixed correctly. Its also preventive for respiratory issues because it kills viruses and bacteria.

Quote:
Thanks for your kind comments.

We are working towards our permit to raise Bob's...I would probably do like you suggested and keep the mated pairs in cages in a building, then let them colony on the ground during off breeding season.

I might be tempting the fates and going against all that is published, but we do have a free ranging EE mutt flock. Being the woods, they are great for bug control.

Good luck on getting cots soon. You'll have to post pics and tell us about them.

I love that set up, it's quite the eye pleaser. If you don't mind me asking what was the budget and building time on that? so many ideas pop into my mind seeing it.

Quote:
BOY, WHAT A NICE SET UP....WHAT ARE YOU USING TO MIST THE OXINE? ARE YOU GOING TO HAVE ABOUT 36 BIRDS PER SECTION OR MORE? DO YOU HAVE SAND ON THE ENTIRE FLOOR OR IS IT JUST REGULAR SOIL? WILL THEY STAY OUT IN THIS IN THE WINTER? IF SO, WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR WIND/COLD ON THE SIDE. THANKS FOR SHARING THE BEAUTFUL PICTURE OF YOUR QUAIL HOUSE.

Back
Top Bottom