Growing my own feed

annemarie g

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
Texas
I've looked far and wide for information on growing my own grain for my girls, but I can not find any consistent information. I've found limited sites on nutritional values of different grains and seeds, but I'm in need of a general recipe for these grains and seeds. I've got red and white wheat, purple and plain barley, and black oil sunflower seeds growing. I've also got forage kale, flax, and sesame growing in addition as well as other seeds and grains. All I need is a ratio or general recipe for a guide to tell me how much of each product to feed. Now my fields are no where near ready for harvest, but I'm the kinda girl that likes to be prepared by making sure I"m planting enough of each to make it through to my next harvest. Any help, ideas, or websites would be appreciated!

I subscribed to this post hoping to see some responses. Our goal is also to eventually be able to grow all the feed stuff for our poultry.

I am currently working with a local growers coop to come up with a formula using their incomplete feeds, such as whole grains and seed meals. Will try to remember to post what we come up with.

I have no experience with this but if I were doing what you want to do, I would find a commercially produced feed and look at the nutritional values and try to match what you are mixing to that as best as possible. It might be a bit of work and require some math but once you come up with good ratios, you won't have to do it again. You might just want to tweak it now and again if your flock shows any issues. If you're good with excel, it would work great for this purpose.
If they are free range, then your formula probably doesn't need to be entirely precise because what your feed lacks, they will make up on their own. If they are always penned, then the nutritional values are way more important because they have no choice but to eat what you give them and won't have a variety. They might do well for a while but if there's even one thing missing, they will start to go downhill.
You might want to consider getting a grain mill too so that they won't have the choice to pick out their favorites...
Please post what you come up with! I would love to do this one day, just haven't had the time...

Back
Top Bottom