growth on rhode island reds face

lizablair

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Baldwin County, AL
My rhode Island red has a growth on the side of her face below the eye. I just found it last week. I thought she had been bit by something...she is eating and laying eggs..socializing with her flock.

Any ideas?

Yes. She has an infection. Any other birds in the flock displaying signs of a respiratory infection?

I just posted to the forum for the same thing. I have a wyandotte, and hers is even on the same side. I will be staying tuned to your post as well for any information. Sorry I can't help, but if I do get some good info on mine, I will share it with you.

I purchased some metrodinazole from a local tropical fish store, and put some in my chicken's water. 250 mg per gallon of water. They have been drinking this for a few days, and my chicken that has the canker has showed a lot of improvement. The lump on her face has gone down significantly. My other chickens are also drinking this, which has anti-parasitic qualities, therefore my other chickens will (hopefully) be clear of the canker. Hope your chicken will improve!

Not any other birds have this swelling...it is perfectly round with no mucus nor draining. She seems fine otherwise..it is growing slowly...if it is sinus infection wouldn't there be drainage?

Back
Top Bottom