Growth on stomach

Kaya1

Songster
Jul 10, 2017
Penryn, CA
IMG_20190809_165905808.jpg
IMG_20190809_165829405.jpg
I need help identifying a growth on my hen. It looks like it could be a cyst from an infected wound. If anyone has had a similar situation I'd appreciate advice on how to treat it.

That is very interesting.

I would soak the area.... make sure and see if those spots are really just feather nubs...or if one is a wound or ingrown feather.

But other than that.... nope, never had something that exciting with my quail.

Are your birds on wire? Looks like a chest blister. Provide a board or cardboard for them the get off the wire. The no chest feathers is related. Make sure the wire floor is smooth.

Hay or a standing place like they do for rabbits is good. Cheers

Are your birds on wire? Looks like a chest blister. Provide a board or cardboard for them the get off the wire. The no chest feathers is related. Make sure the wire floor is smooth.

Hay or a standing place like they do for rabbits is good. Cheers
They're in an aviary on mostly clay dirt and sand. This one has a limp though, and kinda drags her stomach on the ground a bit. My girls are also kinda fat, so that may contribute to it. For how wounded she is she still hobbles along happily, and no other birds bother her.

Are the feet ok? The lump could be an inflammatory reaction to the limping/body dragging?
Occasionally they get mud balls on their feet, but this girl got stuck in between some sticks and the chicken wire, and hasn't walked right since. I removed all of the sticks. She likely poked her belly, and it got infected.

Well good luck. If it is an infection you'll probably need oral antibiotics. Have no experience with that but maybe someone will come talk about what they've done

Not sure what the lump is, but I just want to comment that the bird looks like a roo to me..

The same exact thing happened to my hen. And I just changed them over to a wire floor a couple of weeks ago. It looks identical. I just put her in a quarantine coop with a solid floor with pine shavings. Hopefully, that helps. Whatever happened with your hen?

Back
Top Bottom