Guinea Colors - Breeding

The wait is hard! This is my second attempt to hatch. My plans are to take this old styrofoam cooler and turn it into a lockdown facility. I've got some guinea eggs from these ... so happy I caught them. And the breeder gave me some for a mystery surprise! It's going to be staggered because I had been collecting chicken eggs and I couldn't have them go to waste then I happened across the guinea eggs. I figured I would be happier making a lockdown area and possibly loosing my own chicken eggs to trial and error than to just let them go to waste. I also bleach dipped my eggs this time. I had about 60% hatch my first go and those that were left were yolkers and fully formed in green goop.

Here are the babies in natural light and also my new laying guineas

Attachments

• IMG_8853.JPG
    IMG_8853.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 42
This is what they look like.
Sorry about that but your picture is of a Pearl Gray. It is not a Royal Purple. Due to the DSV (dark shade variance) gene some Pearl Grays are darker than others but the full dotting is a Pearl Gray and not a Royal Purple. A Royal Purple is only partially dotted.

When your guineas were little, they had a wide center stripe on the top of their heads indicating they would be fully dotted. Royal Purple keets have squiggly lines and no center stripe on the top of their heads indicating that they will be partially dotted.

Sorry about that but your picture is of a Pearl Gray. It is not a Royal Purple. Due to the DSV (dark shade variance) gene some Pearl Grays are darker than others but the full dotting is a Pearl Gray and not a Royal Purple. A Royal Purple is only partially dotted.

When your guineas were little, they had a wide center stripe on the top of their heads indicating they would be fully dotted. Royal Purple keets have squiggly lines and no center stripe on the top of their heads indicating that they will be partially dotted.

That is so interesting:old, thanks for the info. :thumbsup

The reason I was thinking they were Royal Purples is due to the purple color of their feathers around their neck/shoulder area.
I didn't know the facts about the dotting, I learned something new. :ya

Back
Top Bottom