Guinea pig lump under chin

Poultry Kitten

Chirping
Jul 11, 2023
Hi all! I am new to guinea pigs and adopted a 3-5 year old pair. One of the guinea pigs has began to develop a lump under its chin/ on its throat. I a worried something like a cyst may be growing. Is there any positive side to this or am I going to need to pay large bill to get it checked out? Do you have any advice on what it might be? Thanks
image.jpg

Hi all! I am new to guinea pigs and adopted a 3-5 year old pair. One of the guinea pigs has began to develop a lump under its chin/ on its throat. I a worried something like a cyst may be growing. Is there any positive side to this or am I going to need to pay large bill to get it checked out? Do you have any advice on what it might be? ThanksView attachment 3806579
Lumpy guinea pigs are very common. Probably a benign abscess from a bite. My guinea pig's lump healed after a couple of weeks but I would still recommend going to the vet so they can aspirate it and give you anything you might need to treat it.

Lumpy guinea pigs are very common. Probably a benign abscess from a bite. My guinea pig's lump healed after a couple of weeks but I would still recommend going to the vet so they can aspirate it and give you anything you might need to treat it.
Ok thanks that is very reassuring to hear that yours healed :) I will look into taking him to a vet just to be certain

Percy sadly did not make it until morning today I found him attempting to walk with his back legs yielding. I held him and gave him medication and water and placed him back in the cage but then he began to heave so I held him again. He heaved moving his head around then at the end he stopped moving and died. Any ideas of what may have happened?

Percy sadly did not make it until morning today I found him attempting to walk with his back legs yielding. I held him and gave him medication and water and placed him back in the cage but then he began to heave so I held him again. He heaved moving his head around then at the end he stopped moving and died. Any ideas of what may have happened?
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that.
What medications was he given? Perhaps his immune system was weak and he succumbed to an infection that was deeper than the lump.

Vets for some reason usually don't have the expertise needed to treat small animals (or really anything outside of a dog, cat, or cow), it's highly probable that he was given the wrong meds or treatment. My vet didn't even treat my first ever lilac teddy bear boar but still charged me $200+ and didn't even give me antibiotics, he also passed away at home in my arms.

Any ideas of what may have happened?
So sorry for your loss and experience. :(

My guess would be a bad reaction to the antibiotics for him to go downhill SO fast..

But that's just a guess and the possibilities are endless. Thank you for taking him to the vet.. the $300 is worth knowing you did everything within your power to not let him suffer.. at least for me. Second guessing the vet is better than second guessing or blaming myself.

Percy was a handsome boy and you are an awesome piggy mom! 🥰

Depending on your location and after a short adjustment period, when you are ready and if possible.. some rescues have "speed dating" options to see about bonding your remaining boy with another friend. Alternatively finding a younger still juvenile boy *might* also be an easy bonding option. Last resort for most keepers if same gender bonding is not achieved can be a look but don't touch set up.

Guinea Pigs are special! :hugs

For some great care tips.. scotty's animals and LA guinea pig rescue both have tons of info and videos.

https://www.laguineapigrescue.com/

https://www.scottysanimals.com/

This following link has also been a useful site..

https://www.guinealynx.info/index.html

Back
Top Bottom