Guineas at night

SummerChick

Songster
11 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Somerset, Texas
I had my guineas trained to go in their coop at night and they were doing quite well, would go in on their own, until one evening they decided not to.... The got in one of the large oak trees and I could not coax them down : (. Now I can't get them back at night. I am so afraid that some predator us going to get them. Had this happened to anyone? Any advice?

Thanks,
Laurie

Had this happen a couple times.. Usually took a rock and knock them outta the tree then they would go in the coop.. Sometimes they would just have to stay all night. Could try locking them up for a few days till they get rehabbed back into the old coop

Had this happen a couple times.. Usually took a rock and knock them outta the tree then they would go in the coop.. Sometimes they would just have to stay all night. Could try locking them up for a few days till they get rehabbed back into the old coop

Good advice above. They have to come down sometime for food and water. Get 'em then and lock their fuzzy butts up. Then take a few days to herd them in at dusk to get them back into their routine.

My guineas would go in voluntarily at dusk, but I'd have to go out a few times a week and "re-train" them to go in. You can't trust guineas to stay in a routine too long. They'll do great for a while, then all the sudden decide to do something different.

As soon as the snow finishes melting and spring arrives my guineas take to the trees for their nights. They are such an independant bird I cannot bring myself to lock them up for the day to prevent tree rousting. At least they roost outside the kitchen window in a tree and if any late nite predators come lurking around they sound out the warnings.

The only time they roost indoors is during the cold months. Any other time not a chance. I let them do their thing and they are content...
Steve

Yah but content birds are exactly what the owls and raccoons are looking for. Dogs that play in the road are content too... for a while
hmm.png

I agree with getting them back in, keeping them in a few days and then putting a little extra effort into getting them back in before they fly up into the trees in the evening to re-establish the coop-up routine (refresher course). If you can't be around to get them in at night, keep them in that day. But if you don't want them roosting in the trees any more you have to put a stop to it now and not allow it any more. Brooms, rakes, long pieces of PVC pipe etc all work good for getting the birds out of the trees, but your best bet is getting them in before they even have a chance to get in the trees. From now on I would not let them have access to the coop or the feeder while they are out, and then use the food/treats as a lure to get them in. I would only feed them in the coop until they are reliably coming in again. If they don't cooperate after the refresher course, lock them in longer and try again later on. They are like bratty kids and will do what they want if they are given the chance, so you just can't give them a choice about where to roost if you really want to keep them alive (some people have even cut a tree down to keep their birds from roosting in it, lol). Spring is prime predator season, they all have babies to feed and will come back as often as they can for free meals.

This is my first year of having guineas and mine did the same thing and I tried to knock them out of the tree but I couldn't find them and they run so fast I couldn't catch them so I left them out. They slept out a couple of nights and then I started feeding them in the pin about the time that the hens where going in and then closed the door before they could go back out. I have to really watch and get out there before its time for them to roost or they will be in the tree again, but I have to trick them sometimes and not put all the food out at once and just shake the cup so they can hear the food. It can take awhile sometimes before they come in so I can close the door.

Back
Top Bottom