Guineas eggs and cold weather

twosteptaz

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
Hi
I have guineas roaming free in my yard.
They have started laying eggs in two different locations in my yard, tonite suppose to get around 30 degrees and the hens are not sitting the eggs,
should i pick them up or willthe eggs survive outside on this cold weather.

i would just leave the eggs in their nest.because if you move the eggs thguienie hens will find a new hidden nest.they will be fine in the cold weather.

I understand that if a mess with the nest the hen will go broody somewhere else but will the eggs survive the nite freeze.
I do not want to loose all this egg.
In one next i got around 15 the other next has well over 20 eggs i believe 2 hens are sharing the nextand i do not want to loose thses eggs.

Last edited:
I have always heard that if you touch or bother a guineas nest they will quit that nest and go lay else where. So if this is true, I would suggest not to bother them and just leave them. Do you have an incubator? If so collect them and hatch them that way! It is still early in the season. I am sure there will be plenty more eggs. Good luck.

If I leave the guinea egg on the nest will the guinea keep laying them until she goes to brood on them or are these not fertilized? I have a male guinea. My DH says if they were fertilized she wouldn't leave the nest??? She is laying in the hen house on the floor in the deep straw. I have been removing the egg each day since my DH says it isn't fertile since she isn't staying on it? I think it would be neat to have some keets. I am impressed that she is laying in the place the chickens are laying.

Back
Top Bottom