Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never tried it

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

animalsRawesome

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
I was just wondering what you all thought... I have heard from a couple different people that guinea meat tastes REALLLLLLY good. What does everybody here think?

ETA: I myself have never tried it. I have guineas, just never ate them before; I was thinking of ordering some keets or eggs to raise for eating...

Last edited:
IMO, Guinea does taste good. Similar flavor to Turkey, but very lean. They can be a little dry depending on how they are cooked, and whether or not they are processed with the skin left on or not. Wrapping them in bacon helps keep them moist. If you are going to raise them specifically for meat then I'd order French or Jumbo variety, they are a couple lbs heavy, (meatier). Letting them rest in the fridge for 48 hours prior to cooking them helps with tenderness.

IMO, Guinea does taste good. Similar flavor to Turkey, but very lean. They can be a little dry depending on how they are cooked, and whether or not they are processed with the skin left on or not. Wrapping them in bacon helps keep them moist. If you are going to raise them specifically for meat then I'd order French or Jumbo variety, they are a couple lbs heavy, (meatier). Letting them rest in the fridge for 48 hours prior to cooking them helps with tenderness.
Thanks for the tips! If you don't let them rest in the fridge for 48 hours prior to cooking, will they be really tough?

We eat guinea pretty regular. It's a good meat. I think it has it's own flavor.. but sorta reminds me of pheasant. We usually "rest" our birds in the 'fridge for at least a couple of days. It helps the meat fibers to relax and makes it a bit more tender. We have eaten it the same day as we butchered it though if the 'fridge was full... just need to cook it low and slow. I personally don't think it's all that dry, but I admit, it could be the cooking.

I don't do the cooking myself here much. When I do grownups pout and children cry. It's not one of my skills I guess.
sad.png

Quote: I think the older the bird the tougher they will be, just like with any poultry... (mine were all young birds, under 6 months old). But I have not tried cooking Guineas before without letting them rest (usually I cook 2 at a time for a meal and some left overs, since there's not much meat on each bird), but a butcher friend told me that's the way to go (resting them 48 hrs) with any game bird, so I followed his advice... the wait was a bummer, but they were definitely yummy.

Back
Top Bottom