Gummy tortillas

cassie

Free Ranging
15 Years
Mar 19, 2009
I made some enchiladas. The flavor was good but the tortillas were gummy. I used flour tortillas. I put in the filling, wrapped the tortillas around it and put them in a casserole dish and baked them. Should I have browned them a bit first or what? I want to make enchiladas again but I don't want them coming out like these. When I get enchiladas at a restaurant the tortillas aren't gummy. What did I do wrong?

You may try browning them in some olive oil in a skillet,,,,, and reduce the hydration of your filling, and topping sauce. :idunno
The gumminess happens when the flour tortillas absorb moisture, and turn to noodle consistency/properties.

I checked the comments on one YouTube making Flour enchiladas. The suggestion was to go with corn.
The first comment stated to oil treat the flour tortillas possibly.
enchiladas.PNG

You may try browning them in some olive oil in a skillet,,,,, and reduce the hydration of your filling, and topping sauce. :idunno
The gumminess happens when the flour tortillas absorb moisture, and turn to noodle consistency/properties.
I will try that. Come to think of it, I think the recipe suggested browning the tortillas but I skipped that step. Guess I didn't want to dig out the skillet. Will try browning them next time. Those gummy tortillas were most unpleasant. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom