Gurgling sounds from roo

man_of_fishers

Songster
Jan 13, 2020

My eight month old Barred Rock roo has always had this gurgling breathing (since mature). I ordered Tylan 50 injectable and have it here, but he’s the only one in the flock that gurgles. He also doesn’t have any other symptoms such as runny nose or goopy eyes. Should I go ahead and treat, look for additional symptoms, or leave him be for now?

How's your rooster doing?
His gurgling is gone entirely after a round of Tylan 50 injectable. You can follow the link here where I recorded the after video.

Now what I'm a bit concerned about is the bare spot on his chest. He and my silkie roo have been sparring for power. The barred rock was top dog initially and did the crowing and mating, but the silkie is now crowing and I've noticed that whenever the barred rock attempts to mate, the silkie roo charges in. I've not yet seen them fully fight with feet, but it must be happening. The redness in his chest will be beat red some days, and those feathers aren't getting a chance to grow back in. I've read it could be hens and ritual-"loving", but I've not seen the hens do it. I don't think it's an insect issue, as it's not occurring with any of my other 25 chickens.

I'm considering separating him to see if it improves.

Back
Top Bottom