Guys? Confusion? 🤔

Pics

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
Hatching from my white cochins for the first time-
They've started pipping-
The others so far have the pink/yellow beaks- I'm assuming they'll be white like their parents.
I did not expect anything other than white, but I've got a chick with a black beak...? - explain?
I did hear cochins are usually recessive, but i didn't think anything they might be hiding would show with white over white.
1706383487996420794428604415076.jpg

In theory you could have a heterozygous dominant white bred to another heterozygous dominant white or a recessive white resulting in a black. If they are all related it’s more likely that they are all recessive white or dominant white, if they are not all related this is more likely.

So are you saying if i take the whites and put them with a blue or splash I can get recessive whites out of that? Then I can just take a recessive white roo and use him with the hens?
I don't see how that makes sense, if these guys were crossed with blues at some point and they came looking white, wouldn't they be recessive white anyways?
I actually don't even see how I'd get a white from them when put with blue or splash since I'm getting a whole lot of splash when they're not even with one of those colors. 🤔
Your splash chicks are, assuming you don’t end up with partridge or Columbians (this won’t matter as rec white masks all pattern and ground colour):

E/E (self colour), i+/i+ (wildtype, not dom white), Bl/Bl (splash), C/c (heterozygous rec white, not showing) that’s all that matters for this.

Your blues are the same but Bl/bl (Blue)

If you cross two of your splash or blue chicks, the blue locus doesn’t matter, but for rec white you will get C/C, C/c, c/C and c/c. The quarter that are c/c will be white as they are homozygous rec white. If you bred one of these blue or splash cockerels to your rec white parent hens, you will get half C/c and half c/c instead, improving your chances of getting more whites. Any white chicks from either of these crosses will be fine for breeding whites as long as you don’t use the dom white rooster or his white chicks.

The blues/splashes you have, have the rec white allele as their mothers were all likely rec white, it just doesn’t show without another copy.

Your white chicks are white not because of two rec white but one dom white, if you breed these you will pass on dom white (I/I, I/i+, i+/I are all white, and only i+/i+ are non dom white) and you can’t tell if they are homozygous for either white very well. You shouldn’t breed these for pure white, as their white offspring may still be able to produce non white chicks without you knowing if they can until then.

Breeding homozygous rec white with no dom white is the easiest way to guarantee true breeding whites in your chicks, in your case anyway. The best way to do this is by crossing the non white chicks with the rec white parent hens (this is what I meant that confused you I think)

I hope this makes more sense.

Last edited:
Hatching from my white cochins for the first time-
They've started pipping-
The others so far have the pink/yellow beaks- I'm assuming they'll be white like their parents.
I did not expect anything other than white, but I've got a chick with a black beak...? - explain?
I did hear cochins are usually recessive, but i didn't think anything they might be hiding would show with white over white.
View attachment 3735053
I think we should wait for the little guy to hatch before we decide what’s happened.

Would the chicks be split for mottling then? 🤔If I put any hens with the roo would mottling show up?
Yes, the chicks should be split for mottling.

If you want visible mottling (chicks with two copies of the gene), use that rooster with a hen that also shows mottling (100% of chicks will show mottling), or use him with a hen that is split for mottling (50% of chicks will show mottling, 50% will be split.)

Well I won't be hatching from that roo anymore- He just got rehomed today with one of his hens that had some flaws.
He has been replaced with a stunning new boy I'm quite excited about. He came from a breeder who says he has the silver gene, but she said all that means is he'll look extra white. I also told her about the problems with the previous roo and when i mentioned him possibly being dominant white she didn't seem to believe that was possible at all. But she taught me a lot about the cochin sop and graded my birds lol.
I remember at the start of this thread y'all thought the previous roo may have carried the silver gene- Is looking extra white really all it means?
Here's the new boy:
05fb97b8-357d-41dd-86e2-23b44c01655dphoto.jpeg
73afc69e-c47a-4c8e-85e2-dbd23b095248photo.jpeg
28e6c60b-5aa7-4ce4-8569-a0b2f3b985cfphoto.jpeg
7e3e38d1-fdbb-4a8b-881a-7b9574d697c7photo.jpeg

P.S: The yellow is from the corn he's ate overtime and also from the pines. The lady he came from had plenty of them and he has been free ranging since he was a month old. (He'll eventually get a bath with a 50/50 mix of water and peroxide.)

Yes, I’m interested too. Has it hatched yet? 🤞
Unfortunately no- I keep checking though 😂
Little guy probably won't hatch until late tonight unless he decides to zip early.
He hasn't been pipped very long.
I believe his mama is my only white frizzle girl- The rest are smooth. The frizzle tends to lay a different egg shape than the others. Could be wrong though.
Here they are, roo is in the background on some.
cfa5b707-bd85-44ab-9d8c-93aea5c98a62photo.jpeg
2f620d65-bc60-4347-a57e-873e91bdc3e5photo.jpeg
e01e35d1-32ca-4ff4-9ad8-eb883ee6b5ffphoto.jpeg

I’m saying that he seems to be dominant white, but only half. If he was homozygous for any type of white there shouldn’t be any leakage, but he can’t be heterozygous rec white because then he wouldn’t be white.
View attachment 3735784
This is Spot, he is a cross between a white (dom white) leghorn and Silver Welsummer. He has the gold shoulder because he has got the autosomal red from the Wellie but not the dilution that makes it purer silver. He has a couple more spots than your boy (he is bigger though), but this is the sort of pattern I mean, just less extreme in yours.
What about what this person told me? Possible? 🤔
Screenshot_20240128-182714.png

Back
Top Bottom