had to bring 8 week old silkie chicks inside - now what?

Layer feed is not designed for chicks and they will not get the protein that they need. Thus, causing their growth to be improper.

They need the correct protein until they are 18 weeks of age or laying.

You could try gamebird feed 22% until they are ready to lay. You can get a 40 lb bag for $10-11. It will not hurt the others to eat it either. Just make sure the layers have plenty of calcium.

If there anyway you can get an extension cord and add another heat lamp?

I have 37 2 week olds in my house and they do not really stink. But, I clean their bedding often.

I have a similar situation. I have 2 silkies about 8 weeks old, and I think one is a runt. It started to get cold here already and the little one was sneezing so I brought them into a sunroom we have and put them in a big plastic storage bin we had with shavings at the bottom. I put their water on a brick so it's up and they don't trample it. I've been taking them out during the day to run around with the rest of the flock (they were with them before) They still get chased around, but I think they'll always be on the bottom of the pecking order. I would gradually introduce them to the flock and outside temps. A little more each day until they seem ready to be fulltime members of the flock. Good luck!

I'd love to order food online if I could get the smaller bags!

Anybody have a good source in Canada?

Although in the wild, baby birds eat what the older birds eat... they don't have a special diet and they do fine. I imagine it's the same for our birds and that we just fuss a bit too much
wink.png

I'll just add some bits of meat and veggies and fruit to the pellets, make a mash, add cooked eggs and such - they should be fine.

Hey if we can raise kids on Kraft Dinner and hot dogs, we can do anything
lol.png

I have 2 12wk olds behind me all day inside...Nothing better than hearing their lil chirps and honks ALL DAY!...

One should integrate well, the other we think may stay inside, she goes absolute berzerk when left outside to thepoint of hurting herself until I show up, it's really bad and my wife laughs at me and reminds me, "she's not going anywhere" LOL

Back
Top Bottom