Had to cull some roosters, how to deal with it.

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi everyone,

Like everyone else in the world who is dealing wiht covid-19 it has been hard and I have had to make some hard choices.

For several weeks I have had a hard time getting ahold of chicken feed. People hordes it and now due to supply chain
Disruptions we are limited to 2 bags if we can even get ahold of it. My flock cannot live on 2 bags of feed a week.

In the face of this shortage I had to make a very hard decision. I had to reduce the size of my flock so I culled some of my extra boys.

I love roosters and enjoy keeping them but I had to make the hard decision that anything that I feed right now has to count
Duinrg this hard time. So I culled 6 of my extra boys, I had 18 roosters. I am broken hearted about it and need a little help dealing with it.

can anyone help? Or have any words on their experiences with having to cull roosters due to flock needs
Thanks

I just did the same thing. I have a small flock and had three extra boys. Do to corona I didn’t want to go to the stockyard to sale them. I had to make the decision to cull ours. They are in the freezer and we will be eating them. I actually posted something similar about this a few days ago. I will look for the link and you can read those comments also. It will help.

My boys were hatched here five months ago and died here. I have always had issues with this. Even as a kid. Born and raised on a farm. Read my thread about this and you can read the story that still is with me to this day. I even remember the calf name.

I'm very sorry for you in this situation. I can't imagine how you feel.

The farm stores here still have feed, but I have been concerned that the situation could change rapidly and while I'm not hoarding feed, I have bought a couple of extra bags.

Spring is struggling to arrive here, so there's not enough forage yet for everybody to thrive while free-ranging.

My thoughts are with you, and I hope someone can provide some helpful advice.

You did the right thing. I have always loved animals, and I know how you feel. Just remember that you can get more chickens after the corona. They might not replace them, but it will help. Hope you get through this!

I just did the same thing. I have a small flock and had three extra boys. Do to corona I didn’t want to go to the stockyard to sale them. I had to make the decision to cull ours. They are in the freezer and we will be eating them. I actually posted something similar about this a few days ago. I will look for the link and you can read those comments also. It will help.

My boys were hatched here five months ago and died here. I have always had issues with this. Even as a kid. Born and raised on a farm. Read my thread about this and you can read the story that still is with me to this day. I even remember the calf name.
Thanks so much. I had to cull my boys due to corona as well. I had to make the decision that what I feed during this hard time had to count. Feeding extra boys became a problem and I had to make a hard decision. If I did not cull them the whole flock would not get the nutrition they needed.

Back
Top Bottom