Had to kill my rooster...

littlefarm_bighappy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
He came at me today with such force and fury it shocked me. I was bending over in the coop and his first rush hit the door which whacked me in the forehead. He was going for my face. Then I stood up thinking it would scare him off, but he came at me and I booted him. I thought that was that and walked out of the coop when he came at me a third time, and that was what did it. It felt like a hammer hitting me in the back of the calf.

I never would have believed a chicken could attack with that much power. A Canada goose, maybe, but not a chicken. I don;t even know what breed he was, he was white with brown on his wings, large, at least 7 pounds, tall single comb on his head.

i know it seems heartless, but I have a daughter who is scared of roosters. Plus she is petite, and if SHE had been attacked with this much fury, he could have blinded her. I'm also due in three months, and i don;t even want to think about what he could have done to a baby.

I'm done with roosters. I have rehomed two, and my daughter was on the receiving end of a nasty attack by a silver speckled hamburg. I'm sick of having my kids being held prisoner in their own yard. I only had one nice rooster, an Easter Egger who I still miss.

Darn, darn, darn.

I am so sorry. And yes those boys have some power...that is their only defense and they must be good at it to ward off attacks and when they turn it on you...it is just as strong and determined.

You were right to be rid of him...especially with your child and your pregnancy. You need not take a chance on being knocked off balance and falling.

But...don't give up on roos...there are far more good ones than there are buttheads.

A mean rooster is a good rooster, at least once it has cured in the fridge and is in a pot on the stove.
big_smile.png

Joking aside, I will not tolerate an aggresive rooster at all. If they come at me showing off that is one thing, but if it actually attacks it is relocated to a very COLD home. If one even thinks about going towards Mom aggresively it is done.

Matt

Sorry you had to do it, I wouldn't put up with a mean rooster either.
I'm glad you didn't get hurt in the process, your daughter and baby too. That could of been bad...

how could you kill something that is jsut doing what it does naturally?

totally kidding.

I'm all for culling mean genes.

I go out of my way to pester my roosters (when I had two). Right now I don't have one. I miss seeing them "dance."
I miss the crowing and I miss having a chicken to "pick" on. Right now it's just me and the hens. I dote on the hens though. When I can I pick 'em up, pet them, give special treats just to the ones I'm holding etc.

I think they're pretty happy too. I still feel the sharp ridge of the breastbone in most of them. They're still growing so some of that is to be expected I think but I want fat happy chickens.

As for roosters, they better know that I'm in charge, and if they put one feather out of line... here I come to pick on them.

Now I had a black cochin rooster I think and he acted big and tough until I got near him. When I'd pick him up he'd have to go along with whatever I wanted to do to him and like it. I hated having to give him away when we left the ranch we were renting. He was named featherboots.

I know this was an old post but wanted to let you know you are not alone. We killed our beautiful Australorp rooster Bob today. He had been pretty aggressive to both my boys, myself (I had to kick at him several times to get him to back off), and was terrorizing one of the hens. We were all outside when we heard my younger son (almost four) screaming. Both of us took off and found Bob puffed up at our younger son who was crying. Bob had pecked him in the hip. I am thankful he didn't do more damage. That was the last straw. Bob is now dead.

Back
Top Bottom