Hair loss problem stumped

Melky

Spring has sprung!
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
Hello:
My 1 yr old SS developed hair loss in the spring on head only. She has been to vet and ordered ointment for irritation. Used tree tea oil on head also to prevent pecking. She is lice and mite free and dusted with DE anyway. Only Change switched to 16% layer feed good high quality feed fresh organic no corn no soy. Any thoughts? Thought pecking from sisters. Can’t get peepers on Golden Buffs after multiple attempts and no help from DH. I increased feed amount to 1/4 lb to 1/3 lb per bird per day.

Last edited:
732B2F14-C930-44CF-B5B5-33DAF0DBB9D3.jpeg 13AFD49B-DF37-4987-8976-6BDA628F8A77.jpeg

Do you have a rooster?

I see a scab on the comb too. That points to pecking/hair pulling.

Is there a reason you portion out the feed?

Some of my birds will peck and pull head feathers on a hen taking to long in the favorite nest box.

By the way.....DE is not effective in treating mites.

I don’t have mites just used as prevention in case. Vet check clear. No rooster. Her head has been like this two months or so. Now trying hot pick spray on head since tree tea oil not too effective as up at Meyers Hatchery and only thing besides peepers to use. I put two feeders to avoid fighting over food so Hedy can get in to a feeder that puts two hens to a feeder less competition for food. Do you mean ad lib feed? I hate to leave left over food out and pull feeders at night to avoid other pests or predators. Also I found the hens would just get more dirt in the food. This just keeps it clean, less loss of food, and providing feed max per day they should need.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom