Half blind chicken reintegration??

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
Recently I found one of my d'uccle banty hens with a pretty bad eye infection and treated her with eye medication and antibiotic. Her eye improved to the point where she can open it mostly with ease and theirs no more puss coming from it. But it is faded and there is no reaction from that side until she feels my finger on her eyelid. The other side she moves away before my finger eye gets close, and is clear in the pupil, whe the affected eye is foggy and unresponcive. Doesn't look dead though.

She has been with three others and separate from their flock for a while now. It is a large flock, and we'd preferably like to reintegration them with her, but are worried they will peck her to death due to her new disability. We are going to cut down the size of that flock, but the worry still stands that she will be major picked on and pecked at. Any advice???

Recently I found one of my d'uccle banty hens with a pretty bad eye infection and treated her with eye medication and antibiotic. Her eye improved to the point where she can open it mostly with ease and theirs no more puss coming from it. But it is faded and there is no reaction from that side until she feels my finger on her eyelid. The other side she moves away before my finger eye gets close, and is clear in the pupil, whe the affected eye is foggy and unresponcive. Doesn't look dead though.

She has been with three others and separate from their flock for a while now. It is a large flock, and we'd preferably like to reintegration them with her, but are worried they will peck her to death due to her new disability. We are going to cut down the size of that flock, but the worry still stands that she will be major picked on and pecked at. Any advice???
I have a wonderful hen who got hit hard by fowl pox. All the rest of the flock recovered but hers went into wet pox and required a vet visit and drugs. She recovered her eyesight for a while but now I’m convinced she is either partially blind or maybe fully blind. I’ve got some bullies in the flock that will kill her if they get the chance. My solution has been to keep her in a separate coop within the run with one or more of her daughters. She was an excellent broody mom and the Welsummer she raised is also one of the shyest and least aggressive of the flock. They come hang out with the others while I’m there to supervise but I have to be vigilant to make sure the bullies don’t attack my invalid. She’s healthy, she eats, and talks to me but I’m convinced she can never again be fully integrated into the flock. Maybe if all of them were gentle and kind it would work, but Sapphire Gem and Black Star Sex-link are convinced it’s their job to irradiate any weak ones. The separate coop thing is working well for us. When the Welsummer has had enough chicken drama, she comes and stands at the door of “her” coop and asks to come back inside. It’s rather sweet to see the two of them snuggling on the roost.

I have a wonderful hen who got hit hard by fowl pox. All the rest of the flock recovered but hers went into wet pox and required a vet visit and drugs. She recovered her eyesight for a while but now I’m convinced she is either partially blind or maybe fully blind. I’ve got some bullies in the flock that will kill her if they get the chance. My solution has been to keep her in a separate coop within the run with one or more of her daughters. She was an excellent broody mom and the Welsummer she raised is also one of the shyest and least aggressive of the flock. They come hang out with the others while I’m there to supervise but I have to be vigilant to make sure the bullies don’t attack my invalid. She’s healthy, she eats, and talks to me but I’m convinced she can never again be fully integrated into the flock. Maybe if all of them were gentle and kind it would work, but Sapphire Gem and Black Star Sex-link are convinced it’s their job to irradiate any weak ones. The separate coop thing is working well for us. When the Welsummer has had enough chicken drama, she comes and stands at the door of “her” coop and asks to come back inside. It’s rather sweet to see the two of them snuggling on the roost.
I had an invalid in with that coop before but she was only invalid due to unusually small size and we deemed it safe for her since she could get away easily when needed. But never have we had a half blind chicken.

I had an invalid in with that coop before but she was only invalid due to unusually small size and we deemed it safe for her since she could get away easily when needed. But never have we had a half blind chicken.
It’s so much better if you can have two together. I really worried about my invalid being warm enough in our cold damp weather but the two of them together seem to be working out very well. Maybe I’ll try reintegrating everyone in the spring but for now this arrangement allows me to sleep at night without worrying about murder and mayhem in the wee hours of the morning!

It’s so much better if you can have two together. I really worried about my invalid being warm enough in our cold damp weather but the two of them together seem to be working out very well. Maybe I’ll try reintegrating everyone in the spring but for now this arrangement allows me to sleep at night without worrying about murder and mayhem in the wee hours of the morning!
She has three friends with her right now. But u fortunately she is one of our only three breeding hens. She still has a bit to go before reintegration though.

Back
Top Bottom