Hands on hatching and help

I actually noticed this with my first assist in my brinsea octagon 20. I tried wrapping it in the paper towel but the chick looked so cold. Now I just put a paper towel in there for the humidity.
not as much as you would think... it's an evaporative cooling principal which the chick experiences anyway as they are all wet coming out of the shell. For what I'm reffering to it would be for the few brief moments till the humidity around the egg is increased close to the humidity of the wrap. The key is leaving enough airspace. For some reason I'm guessing people are picturing wrapping the egg up in a paper towel. The best way I can describe it would be a "paper towel teepee" where there is still airspace between the towel and the egg.

not as much as you would think... it's an evaporative cooling principal which the chick experiences anyway as they are all wet coming out of the shell.  For what I'm reffering to it would be for the few brief moments till the humidity around the egg is increased close to the humidity of the wrap.  The key is leaving enough airspace.  For some reason I'm guessing people are picturing wrapping the egg up in a paper towel.  The best way I can describe it would be a "paper towel teepee" where there is still airspace between the towel and the egg. 

No I know what you mean. I watched a whole how to video on it. It does cool them in mine adleast. When I pull them out to check they are cold to the touch. Although I agree putting the paper towel in their laying next to it doesn't help much cause the membrane still dries out. RavynFallen had suggested the Vaseline and I'm personally never going back. Not only did the membrane stay moist for hours. But when I checked on the chick it felt warm. I'm no scientists but I can feel the difference between hot and cold lol. ;)

love.gif
George!
Aw thanks! It was awesome to meet you too!
1f604.png

Your husband cracked me up too- right off the bat, asked me "are you one of those crazy chicken ladies too?"
lau.gif

Yep, I am! Lol
Congrats everyone!!
Oh my goodness they are adorable!!!! Congrats, you did great!
yippiechickie.gif

highfive.gif
sounds like something he would say!
gig.gif

not as much as you would think... it's an evaporative cooling principal which the chick experiences anyway as they are all wet coming out of the shell. For what I'm reffering to it would be for the few brief moments till the humidity around the egg is increased close to the humidity of the wrap. The key is leaving enough airspace. For some reason I'm guessing people are picturing wrapping the egg up in a paper towel. The best way I can describe it would be a "paper towel teepee" where there is still airspace between the towel and the egg.

Yes, I think you are right, in that people have the wrong idea about "wrapping" an egg. But personally, the only one I ever did that way came out sticky-gooey and the zip was not crisp, like it should be. The membrane was too wet. Could have been shear coincidence (likely was!) and I really don't mean to sound argumentative. Its just that any after that, I didn't use a paper towel -- teepee or wrap or anything, and they did much better. Again, maybe coincidence. Who knows. I just don't see the point, in my particular experience. I use a Brinsea Octagon 20, and I have used a Janoel plastic knockoff, and also a cheap styro, so a cabinet is about the only style I haven't tried...yet. We all have different ways, and that's the beauty of it all.

And maybe explaining your "teepee" idea is a better way to describe it in the future, and also stressing the importance of air circulation. I'll remember that, so its all good.
smile.png

highfive.gif
sounds like something he would say!
gig.gif

Yes, I think you are right, in that people have the wrong idea about "wrapping" an egg. But personally, the only one I ever did that way came out sticky-gooey and the zip was not crisp, like it should be. The membrane was too wet. Could have been shear coincidence (likely was!) and I really don't mean to sound argumentative. Its just that any after that, I didn't use a paper towel -- teepee or wrap or anything, and they did much better. Again, maybe coincidence. Who knows. I just don't see the point, in my particular experience. I use a Brinsea Octagon 20, and I have used a Janoel plastic knockoff, and also a cheap styro, so a cabinet is about the only style I haven't tried...yet. We all have different ways, and that's the beauty of it all.

And maybe explaining your "teepee" idea is a better way to describe it in the future, and also stressing the importance of air circulation. I'll remember that, so its all good.
smile.png
Exactly... The sticky-gooey mess is my biggest issue. It's primarily a result of too much humidity. When I can I have the different breeds separated in different hatchers but it's not always possible. When the humidity is too high for too long is when I see the issue. The only time I bother with the paper towel at all is if there is still blood circulating in the membrane. Other than that I usually help the little chick out a little.. ensuring it's nostrils/head is free so it won't drown. and let it do the final kicking on it's own.

Exactly... The sticky-gooey mess is my biggest issue. It's primarily a result of too much humidity. When I can I have the different breeds separated in different hatchers but it's not always possible. When the humidity is too high for too long is when I see the issue. The only time I bother with the paper towel at all is if there is still blood circulating in the membrane. Other than that I usually help the little chick out a little.. ensuring it's nostrils/head is free so it won't drown. and let it do the final kicking on it's own.
I should also add I dry incubate at around 30-35% for the first 18... I'm in FL so to even get the humidity that low I run a dehumidifier in an ac controlled room. For the last part I go for 60-65%. Once they start hatching and adding their own humidity the numbers climb higher on their own. I do have a brinsea hatcher with the humidity pump and while it does a great job at setting the initial humidity, they all spike about the same once hatching begins.

@WVduckchick - if you do go for a cabinet incubator, I can't say enough good things about the sportsman.... I also have Dickies, brinsea, and RiteFarms. The Dickies and the Brinsea are good units... no real complaints... but the GQF is a cadillac. The RiteFarms though... Steer clear of them... cheap chinese... I bought them for a volume contract (that fell through right after... oh well)... They hold 524 but the best hatch I've had out of them is 50-60%.

Back
Top Bottom