Hard crop, enteritis, lethargy, watery poo and undigested food

LouKiwi

Hatching
Apr 23, 2024
Can anyone help please? I have a Silkie bantam who had crop stasis recently. I massaged and it got better, came back and I gave oxy Mav antibiotics which helped (so maybe secondary infection?) Now it's back with lethargy etc and I went to the vet. They say prognosis poor, only way to help is ultrasound, hospitalization and maybe surgery or euthanasia. Signs of enteritis. Now on tribrissen antibiotic and had lucrin jab. Im $400 in but can't afford much more. I've got her home and Epsom Salt bathed her, massaged again, she's doing watery poos with undigested food. I've seen from other posts this could be a sign of something else. Any ideas welcomed!!! Just want to get our girl well. Pic of poo.

Attachments

• 20240423_153800.jpg
    20240423_153800.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
Welcome To BYC

Where are you located in the world?

How old is this hen?

How long has this been going on?

Was/is she laying eggs? You mention she was given Lucrin, so is this to stop her from laying eggs?
Has she had trouble with production in the past or had signs of Salpingitis, etc.?

If she's having reproductive difficulties, then it's not uncommon for there to be crop symptoms. Crops stasis is often a term used to describe Sour Crop. An antibiotic was given, so did the vet determine the cause of the Stasis was bacterial instead of yeast/fungal?

If the crop is hard and not emptying, then I'd begin basic treatment as outlined in the article below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Welcome To BYC

Where are you located in the world?

How old is this hen?

How long has this been going on?

Was/is she laying eggs? You mention she was given Lucrin, so is this to stop her from laying eggs?
Has she had trouble with production in the past or had signs of Salpingitis, etc.?

If she's having reproductive difficulties, then it's not uncommon for there to be crop symptoms. Crops stasis is often a term used to describe Sour Crop. An antibiotic was given, so did the vet determine the cause of the Stasis was bacterial instead of yeast/fungal?

If the crop is hard and not emptying, then I'd begin basic treatment as outlined in the article below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Wyorp Rock thank you for your reply. I'm in Australia, New South Wales. The hen is about 15 months old and started laying at 5 months. She used to occasionally lay 2 eggs a day (The second being soft shelled), and prolapsed twice after this. When I called the vet about the prolapse treatment and asked why the second lay was occurring they said it was probably due to ovarian abnormalities, maybe a cyst throwing out extra hormones. Since then she's been fine for about 6 months, one egg every day or so, unless she's broody. She had a hard crop about 2 months ago which I massaged away, then was doing the head and neck sway which i thought was hairworm, so i wormed her. She was still lethargic so i gave her antibiotics which had her almost back to normal. She never quite recovered though and had further hard crop. That's when I took her to the vet. They ruled out worms through fecael count but didn't check for bacterial/ yeast/fungal abnormalities. Just gave different antibiotics as she's responded before. They palpated for abdo pain and she was a bit sore so they think enteritis, caused by a mass lower down. They wanted to hospitalise her for three days to give drugs to move things along, scan etc. I couldn't afford the vet stay, did agree to the scan to see what was happening inside, but they suggested if monwy was an issue then to give her the lucrin and see if that helped and that would be fairly diagnostic. She does seem better today, but that could also be the antibiotics rather than the lucrin. Thank you for the link, it's been really helpful and I'm now giving coconut oil before I massage her crop. It does feel better, but still a long way to go. Did you have any thoughts on the poop picture at all? Thank you - one stressed chook mumma! Ps chook is called Banana 🙂

I'm glad she's hanging in there.

It does sound like the crop is slow and perhaps she has some blockage, whether that's from inflammation in the body from something reproductive or she has some type of fibrous material that is impacting the system it would be hard to know.

Giving the coconut oil is always a good step to take. It won't hurt anything and can sometimes get things moving (plus my hens say Coconut Oil is tasty😋).

The meds may be helpful for her and I sure do hope so. Sometimes there's a glitch when a hen starts laying a hard shell, then immediate soft shell afterward - giving Extra Calcium like a Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet can help determine if the problem is just a deficiency or something a bit more serious.

But, seeming to feel better today is hopeful. As for the poop, it's thin and watery which could suggest that not a lot is moving/getting through at a time. Green can be from not eating.
I'd work on hydration, offer her some wet soupy feed or if she's off her feed, see if she will eat some scrambled egg, a bit of sardines/mackerel, etc. something somewhat easy to process that is protein. Bits of tomato is sometimes interesting to add to food as is melon and cucumber. You may have to try a few different things IF she's not willingly eating her normal feed.

Once you finish your course of antibiotics, start some probiotics. This can be purchased probiotics or just a small amount of plain quality yogurt once daily.

I'm glad she's hanging in there.

It does sound like the crop is slow and perhaps she has some blockage, whether that's from inflammation in the body from something reproductive or she has some type of fibrous material that is impacting the system it would be hard to know.

Giving the coconut oil is always a good step to take. It won't hurt anything and can sometimes get things moving (plus my hens say Coconut Oil is tasty😋).

The meds may be helpful for her and I sure do hope so. Sometimes there's a glitch when a hen starts laying a hard shell, then immediate soft shell afterward - giving Extra Calcium like a Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet can help determine if the problem is just a deficiency or something a bit more serious.

But, seeming to feel better today is hopeful. As for the poop, it's thin and watery which could suggest that not a lot is moving/getting through at a time. Green can be from not eating.
I'd work on hydration, offer her some wet soupy feed or if she's off her feed, see if she will eat some scrambled egg, a bit of sardines/mackerel, etc. something somewhat easy to process that is protein. Bits of tomato is sometimes interesting to add to food as is melon and cucumber. You may have to try a few different things IF she's not willingly eating her normal feed.

Once you finish your course of antibiotics, start some probiotics. This can be purchased probiotics or just a small amount of plain quality yogurt once daily.
Thank you - she is enjoying the coconut oil now, plus the massages.i can hear and feel pockets of gas and fluid being released. Her crop is less solid but we still have a way v to go. She loves cucumber, I'll try some tomato tomorrow. Plus wet oats which she likes, and yoghurt. I will also try some scrambled egg. She's not generally keen on sardine or tuna, but I'll try them again too. I'll try anything for her! She's a special chooky. Her poos have changed - now quite small but normal ish and when I break them up they don't seem to have undigested food in them. I've been giving her electrolyte water which has some kind of citrate in it. Is the calcium citrate and d3 a tablet? Is that from the pharmacy?

Yes, if you are in the U.S. you can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc.
I'm in Australia but I'm sure I'll be able to find it. thank you so much for your help. Banana chicken seems much better again today and her crop is softer. She absolutely loves the coconut oil 🙂

Back
Top Bottom