Hard Substance on wing of 1 week old chick- Advice NEEDED!

Reilyjarm

Chirping
Apr 24, 2018
Louisiana
Hi all! I am new to the chicken world and got 5, day old chicks in the mail last Tuesday. My strongest and largest chick, Harriett (a barred plymouth rock) suddenly has some hard substance on her wing. I was wondering if I should use some warm water and try to soak it off or if this is normal and if I should leave it alone? All of my chicks pick at themselves and kind of itch themselves, but not like constantly. I just assumed they were pruning, but am now wondering if this behavior is normal and if it may have caused this wing issue dear Harriett is now having. I cannot identify what the substance is on her wing. It was quite hard to get a photo, but I did the best I could. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Chickwing2.JPG
ChickwingJPG.JPG

I doubt it is membrane if it just appeared today.
Are you feeding them anything that might be sticky?

I doubt it is membrane if it just appeared today.
Are you feeding them anything that might be sticky?
Not at all! And their food and water are separated so I don't see how it could be food that had gotten wet? I am worried it may be blood from her picking at her feathers. But it doesnt seem to be bothering her.

Rinse it off...see if rinses off the color of blood.
If it's blood...keep an eye to make sure the others don't start pecking her int he same spot.

Okay!! I did it! It seems to have been some poo?!!!! I'm so happy I decided to get it off! It was for sure bothering her and had a few of her feathers tangled up! She does seem to be a bit distressed, but I just finished up getting it off, and I have a feeling she will calm down. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom