Hardware cloth question

Mserwe

In the Brooder
May 4, 2024
We just got our coop today and am planning the run. I plan on keeping the girls in the coop overnight because of predators. Do I need .25” hardware cloth covering the run or could I get away with regular fencing or chicken wire along the run? I plan on only putting them in the run during the day.

Thanks!!

Depends on your predator load, predator types, and how much risk you're willing to take. If you have raccoons I would at least cover the bottom 2-3' with hardware cloth (to prevent reachthroughs), even if you opt to go for a different fencing material throughout.

Also I'd do 1/2", not 1/4" HWC, as most 1/4" is thinner gauge so you're sacrificing strength for smaller holes when 1/2" should exclude everything except maybe very small rats or small mice.

Depends on your predator load, predator types, and how much risk you're willing to take. If you have raccoons I would at least cover the bottom 2-3' with hardware cloth (to prevent reachthroughs), even if you opt to go for a different fencing material throughout.

Also I'd do 1/2", not 1/4" HWC, as most 1/4" is thinner gauge so you're sacrificing strength for smaller holes when 1/2" should exclude everything except maybe very small rats or small mice.
We do have raccoons, weasels, fox, coyotes, eagles, hawks, and a stray wolf every now and then.

I wasn’t sure if the 1/2” would be ok because of reaching or also if they would be able to climb the fencing.

We do have raccoons, weasels, fox, coyotes, eagles, hawks, and a stray wolf every now and then.

I wasn’t sure if the 1/2” would be ok because of reaching or also if they would be able to climb the fencing.
Raccoons can't reach through 1/2". They can climb fencing, or simply tear through it if the wire is thin enough (i.e. most chicken wire).

A small enough weasel could probably fit through 1" openings.

We just got our coop today and am planning the run. I plan on keeping the girls in the coop overnight because of predators. Do I need .25” hardware cloth covering the run or could I get away with regular fencing or chicken wire along the run? I plan on only putting them in the run during the day.

Thanks!!
We free-range here and are next to forest so have all the critters including four bear the other night. We always lock them up at night as that's when the biggest threats are. We also have several solar motion lights as that usually keeps everything back from our yard, except bear. :hmm The two dogs help immensely as well.

We free-range here and are next to forest so have all the critters including four bear the other night. We always lock them up at night as that's when the biggest threats are. We also have several solar motion lights as that usually keeps everything back from our yard, except bear. :hmm The two dogs help immensely as well.
So do you have a run or just free range? Also, what do you do in winter? Run or free range?

Thanks!!
HARDWARE CLOTH!! Don't use chicken wire! You will regret it!! We built our coop with chicken wire and it rusted super quick. After it was rusted enough, something ripped right through the wire, killed our favorite rooster, and took three beautiful teenage bantam chickens!! I recently recovered the entire coop with a bunch of grid squares that we hand on hand and it is working very well (*Knock on wood*)! 1/2 inch hardware cloth would be the best thing to use as it is super sturdy and it doesn't rust as bad as chicken wire. Also, make sure they are in their locked up coop at night so that they are safe from all ground predators! Good luck to you!

:thumbsup

Many critters can climb really well. Will you have a top on it to keep them out as well as flying predators?

Some critters can dig under a fence. Do you plan dig protection. I use a piece of wire 12" to 18" wide attached to the bottom of the fence and laid flat so that anything that goes up to the fence and starts digging hits the wire and cannot get through. I bury my "apron" about 2" deep so the grass roots and dirt hold it down.

While your highest risk is at night any of the predators you mentioned and many more are also active during the day. Usually human activity keeps them away during the day but I've seen coyotes, foxes, raccoons, possum (yes, even a possum), skunks, and a bobcat out during the day. A pretty large risk people don't often think of is a dog. It could be your dog, a neighbors, a stray, or one that was dumped by someone. If you read the posts on here many massacres are by dogs.

Some people can go years without predator attacks, even if they free range. Some can be wiped out almost immediately. There is a lot of luck involved.

A big boar raccoon, a large dog, and certainly a wolf can tear even 1/2" hardware cloth if they can get a good hold of it. Hardware cloth is safer than chicken wire but even it is not certain. Chicken wire will stop many critters. Attaching whatever wire you use firmly is important too. I use furring strips and wood screws to go into wood and J-Clips or Hog Rings to connect to wire.

No one can tell you with any assurance that anything is perfectly safe. You need electricity to stop a bear. Many people go for years with chicken wire and it works for them. Just do the best you can and good luck!

HARDWARE CLOTH!! Don't use chicken wire! You will regret it!! We built our coop with chicken wire and it rusted super quick. After it was rusted enough, something ripped right through the wire, killed our favorite rooster, and took three beautiful teenage bantam chickens!! I recently recovered the entire coop with a bunch of grid squares that we hand on hand and it is working very well (*Knock on wood*)! 1/2 inch hardware cloth would be the best thing to use as it is super sturdy and it doesn't rust as bad as chicken wire. Also, make sure they are in their locked up coop at night so that they are safe from all ground predators! Good luck to you!
Got it! 1/2” hardware cloth! I will definitely do that!! Thank you! Sorry you lost some birds.

Back
Top Bottom