Has anyone ever CANNED eggs?... UPDATE! I opened a jar!!!

Quote:
The pickling liquid is vinegar!

Oh, I gotchya! Didn't read your post correctly. I am kind of getting a recipe together in my head as I don't care for a lot of hotness. May just add a pinch of red pepper flakes. I've been thru a lot of cookbooks and am just gleaning ideas from them, too. I'll let you all know how I make out!

One of the most important things is to have the eggs still hot, preferably 200 degrees (use a candy thermometer) when you add the hot brine. I can mine. I don't give them out or sell them, but they seal up nice and I have never gotten ill so... I don't think it's as horrible as everyone says pickling eggs are.

Quote:
Thanks! I prolly would not have done that! Will make a mental note!
pop.gif

I know we had a thread or two about pickled eggs last year, but I can not get the search to work today. Let me check my settlement cookbook and see if there is anything. I would probably use the brine from the pickled tomato recipe, but that has a lot of salt and not all that much vinegar. You definitely want high acid and high salt...maybe even high sugar, you just want to make sure nothing in the 'bad bacteria' class is not comfortable and cozy there.

I will post back after I go through all of my old cook books.

you can also try google. I imagine there is a liability to publishers now a days for things that have the potential of going horribly wrong. I wonder if an old fox fire book would have that?

Okay, in the Encyclopedic cookbook from1976 we have:
pickled eggs
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp mixed spices (I would assume they mean pickling spice)
2 cups cider vinegar
12-16 hard boiled eggs
add sugar, salt and spices to the vinegar -dilute 1/3 with water if too strong (I wouldn't do that)
simmer 8 minutes,strain and pour over the peeled eggs arranged in a quart jar seal and let stand 2 days before using

Umm...they did not say anything about canning or refrigerating....? And then what's up with those eggs that you sometimes find sitting on the COUNTER of these old stores in the country?

Okay, recipe number two from the American woman's cook book 1947
24 cloves
6 hard boiled eggs
2 cups vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ground mustard
Shell eggs and stick four cloves into each egg
Heat the vinegar and when boiling add the salt pepper and mustard. Mix with a little cold vinegar.
Put the eggs in a glass fruit jar and pour the boiling liquid over them. Cover and let stand for two days before using them. Serve with broiled steak

Again, these do not sound like they were refrigerated or canned.

I am going to try canning eggs when the girls get going again. When a jar of pickles is empty I put boiled eggs into the brine and leave it in the refrigerator. Then I use those eggs for potato salad and egg salad.

I also plan on pressure canning some. I will let you know how horrendous the experiment turns out.

Last edited:
3goodeggs you are so much more courgeous than I am about pressure canning! You know that we will want pictures, right? Ha! Ha! Ha! Those recipes are very different from the ones I've found. And yeah, that's weird that they just sit on the counter! That's funny sticking 4 cloves into each egg! I actually bought cloves today. Was thinking about putting 1 or 2 into each jar. I'll have to write down what I do. Still not sure about putting in cinnamon. But anyway, did too much running today. Not sure when I'll get to them. I was hoping to get home early and get started with them but I'm not feeling up to it now. I ate at McDonalds today and I don't feel well now. I'm not used to all that processed food!
sickbyc.gif

look what I found! ...and the last sentence of the first paragraph says that they do not need to be refigerated.

http://www.helpwithcooking.com/egg-guide/make-pickled-eggs.html

Florida might be different. Maybe if it is cold all of the time... I dunno, I mean, do I try them first or get my husband to? If I almost kill him I'd feel bad, but I not very masochistic myself...hey, I have a couple of dogs.
big_smile.png

but then I'd feel realllllllllly bad. I think I'd still refrigerate them.

The ginger ones sound good. I love ginger.
I am making Moroccan pickled lemons right now.
Those with Gingered eggs and some black olives...
droolin.gif

Well guys, I've finished a batch of eggs! Here's the recipe I came up with:

for the brine:

5 cups of vinegar (I used white)
2 1/2 cups water/ beet juice combo (I used the juice from 1 15 oz can of beets)

Into each jar I put:

1/3 cup sugar
2 tsps. canning salt
1/2 tsp. pickling spice
1 whole clove
3 peppercorns
1 clove of garlic, cut in half
pinch of hot pepper flakes

So, I hard boiled 4 dozen eggs. Peeled them and put them in the brine and brought up the temp to approx. 200*.
21251_picture_329.jpg

While that was getting hot I measured out all the other ingredients to the 4 jars.
21251_picture_330.jpg

When the brine and eggs got hot I put enough brine in each jar (about 1 1/2 cups) to get the sugar and salt dissolved a bit. Then I carefully put 10 eggs in each jar and filled the rest of the way with the remaining brine. Boy did it smell wonderful! I processed in a water bath for a little more than 10 minutes. I am super happy with the delicate pink coloring that it produced and they are so pretty in the jar. Probably will do this again!
21251_picture_335.jpg

celebrate.gif

Great! I have to wait for eggs. 24 chickens, 1 egg a day if I am lucky.
roll.png

My eggs are xlarge/jumbo, so I doubt I'll get ten eggs per jar. I just may need some bantums.
big_smile.png

My excuse to my husband will be that I need them for a recipe.
lol.png

I have copied your recipe. Let me know how they are after they marinate.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom