Has anyone ever had bugs on their live Christmas tree?

NC_Quail

Would rather be gardening
Aug 28, 2021
Raleigh, North Carolina
Today I made an alarming discovery. I keep seeing these beetle things crawling on me and the carpet in my room, at least 10 total. I spent way too long researching bugs and types of bugs on the internet, and while I couldn’t figure out exactly what kind of bug it is, I think they may be coming from our live Christmas tree. We cut down a Loblolly pine tree from my grandparent‘s backyard (not bought from a tree stand) to be a miniature Christmas tree in my room. All other years we have had a cedar tree in here, not a pine tree, and this is the first time I have seen these beetles. We have had the tree in here for a while, but we moved it out of the room and then back in yesterday, so maybe that disturbed them?
Anyways, the real question is, have any of you had experience with bugs on live trees, or am I just being paranoid? They could be coming from the house, of course, but the pest control guy just came two weeks ago (we did not have the bug issue then). Here is a photo of one on my carpet.
411A126C-598F-4BC2-8A12-8A4A23763EA1.jpeg
C674E152-297A-4E6D-B0CB-10780ADAEB4E.jpeg

Today I made an alarming discovery. I keep seeing these beetle things crawling on me and the carpet in my room, at least 10 total. I spent way too long researching bugs and types of bugs on the internet, and while I couldn’t figure out exactly what kind of bug it is, I think they may be coming from our live Christmas tree. We cut down a Loblolly pine tree from my grandparent‘s backyard (not bought from a tree stand) to be a miniature Christmas tree in my room. All other years we have had a cedar tree in here, not a pine tree, and this is the first time I have seen these beetles. We have had the tree in here for a while, but we moved it out of the room and then back in yesterday, so maybe that disturbed them?
Anyways, the real question is, have any of you had experience with bugs on live trees, or am I just being paranoid? They could be coming from the house, of course, but the pest control guy just came two weeks ago (we did not have the bug issue then). Here is a photo of one on my carpet.
View attachment 2935989View attachment 2935991
Looks like a stink bug.

Nope we haven't had a bug problem with our live Christmas trees.

Looks like a stink bug.

Nope we haven't had a bug problem with our live Christmas trees.
These are way smaller than stink bugs. I can’t think of something small enough to compare them to, but they are not noticeable right away. I will post a photo from father away.

🤔 Interesting that this seems to be an uncommon problem with some people. I would have thought there would be bugs all over those trees. Granted, store-bought ones are probably treated with some kind of pesticide, but I know there are more people that just me that cut trees from the yard.
217DDDD6-EB11-4E18-A81D-068D17310F49.jpeg

These are way smaller than stink bugs. I can’t think of something small enough to compare them to, but they are not noticeable right away. I will post a photo from father away.

🤔 Interesting that this seems to be an uncommon problem with some people. I would have thought there would be bugs all over those trees. Granted, store-bought ones are probably treated with some kind of pesticide, but I know there are more people that just me that cut trees from the yard.
View attachment 2935998
There's different species of stink bugs.

I got mine from a farmers market.

i’ve cut my own trees from farms the last 5 years or so and i’ve never had a bug come off of a tree.
Interesting, I wonder if it is a pine tree thing? Granted, I thought people used white pines as Christmas trees back in the day, but this isn’t a white pine. What kinds of trees were you harvesting?

Interesting, I wonder if it is a pine tree thing? Granted, I thought people used white pines as Christmas trees back in the day, but this isn’t a white pine. What kinds of trees were you harvesting?
usually some type of fir or spruce. this year it’s a douglas fir.

Looks like evergreen mites to me.
I looked these up and they do look similar, except most of the ones I saw where white. Do you have any recommendations on what to do about them? I am definitely going to move the tree outside, but I am not sure what to do about the ones that are already in here. Will they die on their own, or will they reproduce?

Also, updated photos with penny for comparison:
8595E9BF-16EC-4F2D-A371-399BA4401BEE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom