I have a small banty hen that has been laying,but for the last couple
of days she has just set around by her self.I picked her and she looked
fine until I turned her around.Her vent appears to have extended about
an inch and a half and is just hanging there.I isolated her,but don't
know if there's any hope or should I just put her down?I did notice an
egg with some bloody streaks two days ago,but thought it was from maybe
a younger hen's first egg.Nothing out of the ordinary with egg
size.Anyone ever experience this?

That's called a prolapsed vent. If it's dirty in that area clean it up with soap and water and push it back in. Preparation H is said to help with the swelling and help it heal.

boil some water with salt (roiling boil for 5-7 minutes) to create your homemade saline solution and flush the area copiously with this ... you can use KYjelly or other lubricant to help "reinsert" and then swab the area with prep H or other astringent such as hammelis (witchhazel). Good luck!

I had a hen with a prolapse 2 weeks ago. I trimmed many of the feathers around the vent to make it easier to keep clean. Washed with cold saline actually which has not been the normal suggestion. But I wanted to reduce the swelling if at all possible.

Once it was clean I didn't have any Prep H on hand but had read about using honey. It has worked so far. I placed a lot of honey on the prolapse and gentle placed it back into position. I had to replace the prolapse morning and evening for 2 days before it finally stayed.

I put her in a dark cage in hopes of stopping her laying. It did for a week, or mother nature was helping her heal....I am not sure which. She has remained in the cage for an additional week and unfortunately started laying again every other day this week. The first egg had a slight blood smear, the second one just a tinge and todays was normal looking. She has not reprolapsed yet and I am hoping it stays that way, but the odds are not high in her favor. But I can hope.

I have dealt with a prolapsed vent with success. One suggestion I'd gotten from this forum at the time was a warm sitz bath for the hen. I felt awfully silly doing it, but I think it was soothing for her. I applied preparation H twice daily for about 5 days. On day one, I did try poking the vent back in, but it just popped out again. However, Prep H, sitz bath and a darkened pen did the trick - the vent went back in by itself on about day 5. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom