Has anyone ever successfully relocated a guinea nest?

ABS9590

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2016
I have a hen who decided to nest outside the coop where anything could get her. Tonight when I went to candle eggs she was off the nest and a large snake was in it about to have a nice egg dinner.
If I put her in a crate in a safer location is there any chance at all that she'll stay on the eggs? If not I have a broody hen that will hatch them but she seems pretty determined to be a mom and who am I to get in the way of her dreams?
20190719_220917.jpg
20190711_172506.jpg

I have a hen who decided to nest outside the coop where anything could get her. Tonight when I went to candle eggs she was off the nest and a large snake was in it about to have a nice egg dinner.
If I put her in a crate in a safer location is there any chance at all that she'll stay on the eggs? If not I have a broody hen that will hatch them but she seems pretty determined to be a mom and who am I to get in the way of her dreams?View attachment 1850417View attachment 1850418
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/whats-the-best-way-to-move-a-hen-and-her-eggs.1322374/

Willowspirit-That would work for protection from my dogs, but not snakes, raccoons, or the bobcat
R2elk-are guineas the same?

R2elk-are guineas the same?
If you are referring to the thread that I posted a link to, it is about a guinea hen. If you are asking if moving a guinea hen and her nest is like moving a chicken hen and her nest, the answer is no.

Those that have successfully moved a guinea hen and her nest have usually had guineas that are very people friendly.

I would not try it with my guineas. I currently have 3 guinea hens that are broody on the same nest. Every evening when I use a stick to gently move them off of the nest, at least two of them viciously attack the stick. Their screeches bring all the other guineas back out of the coop to join the chorus. They all get shut in their coop for the night and the next morning two of the hens are the first ones out of the coop and make a bee line for the nest.

They don't have any viable eggs to lay on because the nest is seeded with fake eggs and I remove all freshly laid eggs each evening once all of the guineas are in the coop.

Good luck with whichever method that you attempt to use. Some people while not successfully relocating the nest have been successful in getting the hen to start a new nest by keeping her shut in until after she has laid her daily egg.

Back
Top Bottom