Has anyone recently converted a greenhouse to use as a coop?

EmmaDonovan

Crowing
Jul 13, 2020
Southern Arizona
Looking for suggestions of greenhouse models.

We want the frame, not the cover. We'd discard the cover and replace it with 1/2" hardware cloth and a tarp over half of that. One end would be 15/32" plywood with a vent for airflow and the other would have a 30"x80" steel door (overkill but that's what we have to work with) in a wood frame. A 5' t-post at each corner would provide additional support and act as anchors.

1714611095625.png

1714611176677.png

The largest predators here are coyotes and bobcats but coops are more often visited by rodents (rats, mice, tunneling ground squirrels), snakes, raccoons, rabbits, hawks, and cats.

We don't get any snow to speak of (maybe 1-2" total) so snow load isn't a concern but we do get strong summer storms with hard downpours and 30-40 mph winds (monsoons and microbursts).

The winds concern me because some reviews of 10'-15' greenhouses say they collapsed in wind. With the above reinforcements would that still be an issue? Maybe someone who has a better eye for engineering than I do could tell me more about that. (@aart?)

Has anyone bought or converted a greenhouse about that size? Are you happy with it? What model did you use?

Last edited:
I have this:
TOETOL Extra Large Metal Chicken Coop Walkin Poultry Cage Hen Run House Rabbits Habitat Cage Spire Shaped Coops with Waterproof and Anti-Ultraviolet Cover for Backyard Farm (19.6' L x 9.8' W x 6.5' H) https://a.co/d/6lFVuQT

I used 1/2" hardware cloth over the entire frame. I also covered the whole thing, since mud is not my thing, and the girls avoid it, too. I have a 2' apron around it, but suggest burying it instead, as mice here do tunnel under the apron.

We have had wind up to 50 mph, and there have been no issues, even when I completely cover it in winter. I imagine it would be even sturdier if the apron is buried. With only the roof on, my biggest complaint is that wind will blow rain in through the sides. You will need a separate shelter for food, grit, and oyster shell.

Any of those types of frames are going to be susceptible to winds,
they are rather weak.
This guy has an excellent antidote to that issue:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-coop-design-and-build-blog.1612130/

But is that kind of structure going to meet the local requirements you are facing?(that I remember from your other thread-has to match your house)

Good question. Greenhouses don't have the strict requirements of other structures so we're looking at two connected greenhouses of 80-100 sq ft each, instead of a single 200 sq ft chicken coop.

Thanks for the link!

I have this:
TOETOL Extra Large Metal Chicken Coop Walkin Poultry Cage Hen Run House Rabbits Habitat Cage Spire Shaped Coops with Waterproof and Anti-Ultraviolet Cover for Backyard Farm (19.6' L x 9.8' W x 6.5' H) https://a.co/d/6lFVuQT

I used 1/2" hardware cloth over the entire frame. I also covered the whole thing, since mud is not my thing, and the girls avoid it, too. I have a 2' apron around it, but suggest burying it instead, as mice here do tunnel under the apron.

We have had wind up to 50 mph, and there have been no issues, even when I completely cover it in winter. I imagine it would be even sturdier if the apron is buried. With only the roof on, my biggest complaint is that wind will blow rain in through the sides. You will need a separate shelter for food, grit, and oyster shell.

The desert sucks up water so we don't have mud for long. We've thought about water issues since we get big downpours. The coop is going in a higher part of the yard that drains well.

The back portion of the greenhouses will be covered on the top and sides. The back wall is wood. Food and water are outside the coop, I left them off the drawing just for simplicity's sake but they will look like this. The area behind the coop will be covered although it doesn't show that here.

coop1.jpg

coop2.jpg

Yes. Chickens can live anywhere you put them. It's the structure itself that is the issue, not what's inside it.

The structure has to be approved as historically "matching" the era and design of the homes. Greenhouses haven't changed since the 1950s so there isn't much about them to "match."

You should see this neighborhood. It's a bad neighborhood. No sidewalks. Few street lights. Streets full of potholes. Lots of dirt and chain link fences. The houses are run down. It's rife with crime and drugs.

We regularly pick up trash including liquor bottles and used syringes on our property (we use one of those grabber thingies, we don't touch any of it).

Several houses are cooking and selling meth and other drugs. There are shantytowns in backyards and alleys. Last year there was a wanted murderer holed up in the house across the street from us (police eventually got him).

But what are town officials worried about? A chicken coop.

🤦‍♀️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom