Has anyone tried dry incubation and does it work well? And a sexlink breeding question.

We used dry hatch the last 21 days. Had 10 out of 13 hatch. Humidity was 25% the first 18 days and added water to only one section of our new Maticoopx 30 incubator and humidity went to 45-50%. Once hatching began it would rise from there. Highest reached was 79%. It would occur throughout the day but not stay there all day. I have to give props to those who recommended the Govee hygrometer Great having to get notices of the humidity and temps are outside of you range on the app.
Thank you!!!! I was thinking that the humidity in my room was too high (50%.)

Sorry to jump in, but hopefully this might help someone else, too :)

My incubator arrived this morning, so after washing / disinfecting and then drying it, I set it up with two shop-bought-eating eggs (to test the turn table). First of all, I did it 'dry' and let it be for an hour or so. It is a cold, damp and rainy day today, so I was expecting the humidity to be fairly high. But it wasn't! It was 23%....! (I have a second thermometer and hygrometer arriving in the post tomorrow, which I will calibrate with salt and pop in as a second reading).

So I have set it up with a water dripper, which is filled with distilled water - and have let it sit for an hour. The humidity has gone up to 40%. The instructions on the incubator say to use one water bottle for the first 18 days of incubation. The incubator comes with a second water bottle and a fine misting spray bottle (warm water!) to increase the humidity for the lockdown phase.

My question is - what would you think is better humidity for the start - 23% or 40%? And if 23%, do you gradually increase the humidity up to 70/80% or just go for it??

I was thinking of doing the dry method, but now I'm thinking I'll go with the water bottle (& try to trust the instructions!) if it keeps it around 40%. I guess my main concern is bacteria..... warm and wet seems really unnatural, and not at all like the dry, soft feathery brood patch I imagine under a mother hen....
Did your chicks start hatching yet?

Did your chicks start hatching yet?
Yes, two have pipped!! One cream legbar and one maran. It is day 21 today.

One pipped yesterday outside of the air cell, so that was an oddity. I left it 12 hours, nothing more had happened. I carefully removed it this morning to candle it - and saw that the air cell has moved, and in fact covers where it has pipped. Amazing! Oh, and it was cheeping and I could feel it moving about inside the shell. So precious! I have returned it to the incubator to do its own thing.

The other one (the maran) has pipped overnight, on the edge of the pencil air cell mark, so that's fine I'm sure.

It is nerve wracking!!

Can I do lockdown in one incubator?
How many days should I use the rubber shelf liner? What is the lockdown incubator?
Yes, I do lockdown in one of two incubators. That's the one with no rack, no turner, and the shelf liner in it. That's in there just until they all hatch, then I shake it out and toss it in the washing machine.

On the right I have 3 different batches of eggs. I set them no closer than 5 days apart, 6-7 is better so I have more time to clean the lockdown incubator, on the left. This was when I had the NR360. See the rack is out and there's rubber shelf liner in it.

Now I have the two Brinseas side by side, and one is hatching, the other is for lockdown.

Note: I had the shade up when I took the picture.

incubator on stand.jpg

Yes, I do lockdown in one of two incubators. That's the one with no rack, no turner, and the shelf liner in it. That's in there just until they all hatch, then I shake it out and toss it in the washing machine.

On the right I have 3 different batches of eggs. I set them no closer than 5 days apart, 6-7 is better so I have more time to clean the lockdown incubator, on the left. This was when I had the NR360. See the rack is out and there's rubber shelf liner in it.

Now I have the two Brinseas side by side, and one is hatching, the other is for lockdown.

Note: I had the shade up when I took the picture.

View attachment 3834689
So can I put an egg in the incubator when the eggs in the incubator are 2 days old? Is it okay if they are all different ages??
P.S. I love that cabinet/dresser!

So can I put an egg in the incubator when the eggs in the incubator are 2 days old? Is it okay if they are all different ages??
P.S. I love that cabinet/dresser!
It usually works best if all the eggs in one incubator hatch at the same time.

If you have two incubators, it can work well to put in eggs once a week. Eggs of different ages can all incubate together in one of the incubators. Then once each week, move the due-to-hatch eggs into the second incubator so they can hatch there. A weekly schedule gives time for the chicks to hatch, and the slowpoke chicks to hatch, and time for you to clean up the mess from hatching (sticky stuff and lots of down), and then it is ready for the batch that will hatch the next week.

Back
Top Bottom